4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2005 1:36 AM by aron.gombas

Problem starting portal with Kosmos

thomson1

I have the binary package for jBoss Portal 2.0 and AS 4.0.2 using Hypersonic. I also installed the Kosmos binary. When I restarted jBoss, everything was seemingly fine...the Kosmos option appears on the main portal page. However, when I click on it, the page is blank. Looking at the log a little more closely, I noticed that all of the portlets that come with Kosmos are throwing the same error. Anyone know where I can start tracking this one down?:

2005-11-30 18:41:18,954 DEBUG [org.jboss.portal.portlet.PortletContainer] Loading portlet class hu.midori.kosmos.portlet.jira.JiraMonitoringPortlet
      2005-11-30 18:41:18,954 DEBUG [org.jboss.portal.server.kernel.Kernel.component.kosmos-portal.JBossJiraMonitoringPortlet] failed
      2005-11-30 18:41:18,954 ERROR [org.jboss.portal.core.deployment.jboss.PortletAppDeployment] The portlet cannot be started due to an error that occcured during init
      org.jboss.portal.portlet.PortletInitializationException: The portlet threw an error during init
      at org.jboss.portal.portlet.PortletContainer.start(PortletContainer.java:163)
      at org.jboss.portal.server.kernel.StartMethod.invokeMethod(StartMethod.java:37)
      at org.jboss.portal.server.kernel.UpgradeMethod.invoke(UpgradeMethod.java:46)
      at org.jboss.portal.server.kernel.Kernel.start(Kernel.java:382)
      at org.jboss.portal.server.impl.ServerManagerImpl.deploy(ServerManagerImpl.java:409)
      at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor86.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
      at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:141)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:80)
      at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.AbstractInterceptor.invoke(AbstractInterceptor.java:121)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:74)
      at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.invoke(ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.java:127)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:74)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:249)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:644)
      at org.jboss.mx.util.MBeanProxyExt.invoke(MBeanProxyExt.java:177)
      at $Proxy29.deploy(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.portal.portlet.deployment.jboss.PortletAppDeployment.create(PortletAppDeployment.java:165)

• 1. Re: Problem starting portal with Kosmos
          aron.gombas

I'm using the same exact versions of JBAS and JBP, so that should not be a problem.
          Are the other portlets you use loading with no problem?
          What JDK/JRE do you use? The binary distro is compiled with JDK 1.5, so there might be even classfile versioning problems...

• 2. Re: Problem starting portal with Kosmos
            thomson1

That problem was caused by the JDK version. I upgraded and at least the Kosmos portlets initialize properly. However, just trying to run the sample portlets that are specified in portlet.xml (after removing the Cruise Control config since it needs local files), I get the following error for each portlet when I try to navigate to the Kosmos menu option:

com.caucho.hessian.client.HessianRuntimeException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://localhost:8080/kosmos-server/kosmos-services/sf-service
            at com.caucho.hessian.client.HessianProxy.invoke(HessianProxy.java)
            at $Proxy62.getFileReleases(Unknown Source)
            at hu.midori.kosmos.portlet.sf.SfMonitoringPortlet.doView(SfMonitoringPortlet.java:74)
            at javax.portlet.GenericPortlet.doDispatch(GenericPortlet.java:154)
            at javax.portlet.GenericPortlet.render(GenericPortlet.java:394)
            at org.jboss.portal.portlet.invocation.DispatcherInterceptor.invokeRequest(DispatcherInterceptor.java:163)
            at org.jboss.portal.portlet.invocation.DispatcherInterceptor.invoke(DispatcherInterceptor.java:195)
            at org.jboss.portal.server.impl.invocation.InvocationImpl.invokeNext(InvocationImpl.java:213)
            at org.jboss.portal.portlet.invocation.PreferencesInterceptor.invoke(PreferencesInterceptor.java:93)

I read in the docs that the Hessian services are configured in kosmos-services-servlet.xml, but I do not have this file in my installation. Do I have a bogus installation?

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Problem starting portal with Kosmos
              aron.gombas

The problem is probably with the service URL.
              When you paste your URL ("http://localhost:8080/kosmos-server/kosmos-services/sf-service" in this case) to the browser, can you see the "Hessian needs POST" (or something similar) error message? This means that the service is up and running and accessible through that given URL.

If you can't see this, plz double check:
              - if the server component is correctly deployed
              - if the "8080" port is correct in your env (this is the most probable reason)

• 4. Re: Problem starting portal with Kosmos
                aron.gombas

"thomson@fhlb-of.com" wrote:
                I read in the docs that the Hessian services are configured in kosmos-services-servlet.xml, but I do not have this file in my installation. Do I have a bogus installation?

Sorry, I skipped this question.
                Yes, this file is required, it must be there as
                JBOSS_HOME\server\default\deploy\kosmos-server.war\WEB-INF\kosmos-services-servlet.xml
                in the Kosmos server component webapp.

Are you sure you installed *both* the portlet webapp and the server webapp? (This is two WARs in the distro package.)