2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2007 6:44 AM by fabianw

OutOfMemoryError

I'm using the JBoss ESB 4.2.1GA. After some time of usage (deploying stuff, invoking services and so on), the server produces more and more errors which are all caused by: "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

I already read the wiki-page (http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=OutOfMemoryExceptions) about this, but this helps not so much. Only advice there is to increase the permament memory space.
      1) for what is the memory being used and how can i free it? only way till now is a fresh install
      2) i start the server from within RHDS and not directly. So where do I have to add these -XX:MaxPermSize parameters?

• 1. Re: OutOfMemoryError
          burrsutter

What is the specific error message? There is a permgen issue when you are using lots of jBPM (which uses Hibernate). We've modified the run.bat in the standalone ESB server to increase pergen memory.

In RHDS, click on the JBoss Server View tab and right-click on the AS and select Edit Launch Configuration from the pop-up menu. The permgen trick goes in the VM arguments box.

• 2. Re: OutOfMemoryError

Well the specific error message is every time completely different, only the cause is "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" every time.
            I'm really doing some stuff with jBPM, deploying changed processes very often. But I'm not sure what 'permgen' is...

I've added "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m" to the VM arguments. Hope 256MB will be enough :)
            What about the parameters like -Xms128m -Xmx512m ??

I hope that will work. Until now I've reinstalled the ESB every time this has happened.