7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2008 6:22 AM by tfennelly

Any books that I can purchase on JbossESB

vncoder

Hello all,
      Are there any books that I can purchase either from JBoss or elsewhere (preferrably in PDF version so I can read online)? The documentations that are currently available are not enough or rather confusing to follow.

Regards,

Robert Bui

• 1. Re: Any books that I can purchase on JbossESB
          marklittle

Not yet.

• 2. Re: Any books that I can purchase on JbossESB
            viniciuscarvalho

Hum, I must disagree with you. I have a production ESB enviroment for a cable company, and, even though some areas are not well documented (I might add here, registry and governance) overall is pretty good.
            Also you can find everything in samples. Read the code, it's your friend. I've read most of the source code, had to implement a few services my self (like we have our own CBR component and our own AbstractMessageComposer), that's the beauty on opensource, if it doesn't fit you, you adapt it.

I don't know if you have ESB/SOA backgrounds, so I recommend a few books:

Understanding SOA with webservices Eric Newcomer (kinda old, but good fundamentals)
            Enterprise service oriented architectures by James McGovern, Mark Little and others
            Enterprise SOA by Dirk Krafzig

Enterprise Service Bus by David Chappel

Hope those help

• 3. Re: Any books that I can purchase on JbossESB
              marklittle

Yeah, you're right: I meant "on JBossESB", which is what the subject line is about ;-)

• 4. Re: Any books that I can purchase on JbossESB
                vncoder

Thanks all.

I am trying not have to decipher the sample codes. I am looking for a quick and lazy instructions. I am not a developer (can read code but can't actually develop any Java code myself) therefore I am trying to avoid reading code as much as I could.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong product altogether.

• 5. Re: Any books that I can purchase on JbossESB
                  kconner

I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you are looking for a highlevel view of SOA/ESB then no product will be right, but the books listed above are all very good reads.

I would also add the Enterprise Integration Patterns book into the mix http://www.enterpriseintegrationpatterns.com/

• 6. Re: Any books that I can purchase on JbossESB
                    marklittle

Plus it's often a good idea to learn by example, so check out the numerous quickstarts that we have. Each one is designed to be consumable independently and illustrate a specific aspect of the ESB or pattern for constructing applications using the ESB.

Then of course you have these forums.

• 7. Re: Any books that I can purchase on JbossESB
                      tfennelly

"vncoder" wrote:
                      I am trying not have to decipher the sample codes. I am looking for a quick and lazy instructions. I am not a developer (can read code but can't actually develop any Java code myself) therefore I am trying to avoid reading code as much as I could.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong product altogether.

If you want to know about the product (any product), then there's no better way than to get your hands dirty and try out some of the samples. If you're not in a position to do this, then try find someone (you trust) that can do it for you and use their feedback to guide whatever decisions yer trying to make. Doing it from a book/pdf is risky business ;-)

Was there specific info you were looking for?