Last week I wrote to you a pre release report with information about recent work and last test deployment before release. Today I would like to announce JBoss Forums 1.0.0 Alpha release. :-) .
During the last few months after Portal's portlet forums became separate project called JBoss Forums we were working hard to improve Forums to give users proper application. Our main aim for this release was JSF refactoring of view. We accomplished this set of tasks and started improving Forums functionality. MVC pattern cleared our code and now it is much easier to read it and add some new functionality. Apart from view refactoring and small functionality upgrades, Forums gained pluggable and fine grained security based on JAAE. Below this report you can find full list of resolved tasks, also you can see them in our jira roadmap - http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBFORUMS?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel
Since Friday I was working hard to make this release happen as fast as it is possible. Tomorrow I'm going with David Vogel, Greg Bogochwalski(Red Hat Sales), Tomek Szymanski and two other guys to give presentations about our products to 3 very big Polish software companies interested in JBoss and Red Hat. So, I was hurrying to make this release on time.
I created project for JBoss Forums on our JBoss.org portal (http://labs.jboss.com/portal/jbossforums) with project info page and few links to wiki page, source repository, jira and forums. I packaged forums into two binaries, one for JBoss Portal 2.2 and second for 2.4 and placed them in project downloads. Moreover, I wrote some simple guide for JBoss Forums which should be enough for the begining and we will extend it while working on next releases.
Nearest future - JBoss Forums 1.0.0 Beta. We already have about 11 tasks scheduled for this release. Mostly, minor bugs, docs tasks and tests. Probably some other will appear when users start using Forums. So, those are tasks on which we will work heading inevitable final release. I hope we will test our Forums in real life soon on our JBoss.org portal.
Future of 1.1.0. The most important interest is forums search. This feature needs support from JBoss Portal search engine which will be created as well soon. Apart from search we have many ideas what can be improved or added. We already have quite many tasks scheduled for 1.1.0 release.
JBoss Forums are alive! :-D
JBoss Labs Team
Tasks resolved for JBoss Forums 1.0.0 Alpha release :
* [ JBFORUMS-3 ] Watched Topics
* [ JBFORUMS-5 ] Testsuite update after migration to JBPortal 2.2
* [ JBFORUMS-23 ] Implement JSF proof of concept prototype
* [ JBFORUMS-25 ] Link to root
* [ JBFORUMS-26 ] Analyze the ForumsPortlet and isolate usecases that need to be implemented
* [ JBFORUMS-27 ] Implement authorization based on the security framework of portal
* [ JBFORUMS-31 ] Migration to Portal 2.4
* [ JBFORUMS-32 ] Bookmarkable links refactoring
* [ JBFORUMS-33 ] TopicView usecase
* [ JBFORUMS-37 ] Jumpbox
* [ JBFORUMS-38 ] UserView
* [ JBFORUMS-39 ] ModeratorControlPanelView usecase
* [ JBFORUMS-40 ] Forum Post related usecases
* [ JBFORUMS-43 ] Moderator Panel Related Usecases
* [ JBFORUMS-45 ] Preferences Management usecases
* [ JBFORUMS-46 ] Forum Administration Usecases
* [ JBFORUMS-80 ] Common UseCases
* [ JBFORUMS-110 ] Configure and deploy JBForums on dev box
* [ JBFORUMS-6 ] Add the possibility to watch topics
* [ JBFORUMS-18 ] EditOwnPosts permission should be added and implemented
* [ JBFORUMS-28 ] Possibility to choose Forums first view.
* [ JBFORUMS-90 ] Integrate an Authorization SPI in the application
* [ JBFORUMS-95 ] Authorization support of conditional usecases
* [ JBFORUMS-105 ] Make this JSF based system work on JBoss Portal 2.4
* [ JBFORUMS-41 ] UserView
* [ JBFORUMS-44 ] View ModeratorControlPanel usecase
* [ JBFORUMS-49 ] Edit Forum Preferences
* [ JBFORUMS-50 ] Delete Topic
* [ JBFORUMS-51 ] Move Topic
* [ JBFORUMS-52 ] Lock Topic
* [ JBFORUMS-53 ] Unlock Topic
* [ JBFORUMS-54 ] Splitting a Topic
* [ JBFORUMS-55 ] Create New Category
* [ JBFORUMS-56 ] Create New Forum
* [ JBFORUMS-57 ] Edit Category
* [ JBFORUMS-58 ] Edit Forum
* [ JBFORUMS-59 ] Delete Category
* [ JBFORUMS-60 ] Delete Forum
* [ JBFORUMS-61 ] Delete All Forum Posts
* [ JBFORUMS-62 ] Move All Forum Contents
* [ JBFORUMS-63 ] Move LineItem Up
* [ JBFORUMS-64 ] Move LineItem Down
* [ JBFORUMS-65 ] Create a New Topic
* [ JBFORUMS-66 ] Post Reply
* [ JBFORUMS-67 ] Edit a Post
* [ JBFORUMS-68 ] Delete a Poll
* [ JBFORUMS-69 ] Post a Vote
* [ JBFORUMS-70 ] Delete a Post
* [ JBFORUMS-71 ] Preview a Message
* [ JBFORUMS-72 ] Display a Category of Forums
* [ JBFORUMS-73 ] Display a Forum and its topics
* [ JBFORUMS-74 ] Activate Forum Watch
* [ JBFORUMS-75 ] Update Forum Watch
* [ JBFORUMS-76 ] Stop Forum Watch
* [ JBFORUMS-79 ] Display a Forum Summary
* [ JBFORUMS-81 ] Jumpbox
* [ JBFORUMS-82 ] UserView
* [ JBFORUMS-86 ] Fix issue with FileUpload in Portal Environment
* [ JBFORUMS-88 ] Implement proper Page Navigation for "View Topics" and "View Posts"
* [ JBFORUMS-89 ] Integrate these functions on the ViewTopic usecase
* [ JBFORUMS-91 ] Edit Forum Category List refresh issue
* [ JBFORUMS-94 ] Refresh issue for actions
* [ JBFORUMS-96 ] BBCode support
* [ JBFORUMS-98 ] Integrate a Download Widget into Posts that have attachments associated with them
* [ JBFORUMS-107 ] Find an actual machine and load up the new forums here
* [ JBFORUMS-13 ] Anonymous Forum postings
* [ JBFORUMS-16 ] In delete post confirmation "No" button does nothing.
* [ JBFORUMS-9 ] When Posting after "preview" topic type radios resets.
* [ JBFORUMS-15 ] When editing post after "preview" post message resets to orginal one
* [ JBFORUMS-19 ] "Move Topic" in moderators panel don't work
* [ JBFORUMS-24 ] Polls voting problem.
* [ JBFORUMS-34 ] Hyphens near images
* [ JBFORUMS-35 ] Forums link is broken (old nukes) in 'Watched Forums' view
* [ JBFORUMS-36 ] For Long Topics, The Next Link Does Not Work On First Try
* [ JBFORUMS-100 ] multipart/form-data submissions in the portal are not being handled properly
* [ JBFORUMS-102 ] Messages from bundle
* [ JBFORUMS-104 ] Pagination on ViewForum problem
* [ JBFORUMS-112 ] Preview during Create New Topic does not display the message body
* [ JBFORUMS-113 ] Postorder preference in EditMode doesn't work
* [ JBFORUMS-114 ] NewPostPreview is not showing message
* [ JBFORUMS-124 ] Repair links to communicators, private message and e-mail
Hi unibrew,I am wonderd.
There is a project named JBoss Portal Forums and has been 2.21 version.
what is the relation between this 2 project?
Jboss forum will replace JBoss Portal Forums ?
if so,how can we migrate from JBoss Portal Forums to jboss forum?
JBoss Portal Forums were not really a separate project. This was just forums portlet developed inside JBoss Portal project. Now, they became a separate project called JBoss Forums.
At this moment there are available old forums for JBoss Portal 2.2 and JBoss Portal 2.4 (only inside JBoss Portal's svn branch, no binary available) and new forums called JBoss Forums 1.0.0 as well for Portal 2.2 and 2.4. JBoss Forums should be considered as subproject of JBoss Portal. Development is now separated from it but still our aim is full compatibility and staying in touch with JBoss Portal.
It is hard to say that JBoss Forums are replacing Portal forums, they just become separate project nothing more.
At this point there are NO migration issues between Portal's portlet forums and JBoss Forums running on same Portal version.
JBoss Labs Team
It's hard to run 2 forum(Jboss Portal forum and Jboss forum) in the same time.
It's a waste of resource.
We should choose one of them.
Do you think so?
If I want to use jboss forum,I have to migrate the datas in JBoss Portal Forum to the new jboss forum. Are the 2 forum compatible?
That's the kernel problem.
Now I want to use the new Jboss forum.But there are still many datas in JBoss Portal Forum.
I am wonded now.
Can you give some advice?
Please read my posts again. JBoss Forums is a project created from JBoss Portal forums. Those are still same forums but improved and separated as a project. You can run JBoss Forums on your old data created while using JBoss Portal forums. No migration issues.
This forums at the top are JBoss Portal forums and those at bottom are JBoss Forums. Both of them are running on same database instance. I hope this proves that there are no migration issues.
JBoss Labs Team
Thanks for you help.
Sorry for my misunderstanding.
I will have a taste of the new Jboss Forum.