10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2006 10:37 AM by osterday

Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queues

gohip

Anyone got any....LOL

I noticed this groovy app called Hermes (http://www.hermesjms.com/), which allows you to browse the JMS message queues, it has a config for JBoss, but looks like the config, is mainly geared to a full install of JBoss AS, and not the slimmed down version we use, i.e. in our version, I cannot find the client dir, as it doesnt exists as in a full install of JBoss AS.

I tried to set it up, but it is erroring, when trying to look up intial context.

with regards to hermes, we want to be able to read from a newly created queue.

I created the queue, and objects are placed on it, so all is working...but what would settings be for an external java app, i.e. external to JBoss, to access the JBoss Mail servers queue?

I imagine, some of these settings, may also help out the Hermes app, as I dont think I have the correct settings...

If neccessary, I can post the "contexts" config settings from Hermes...theres just a lot though.

I had some code, for reading from JMS queues, but remember/recollect it required settings...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and maybe, if I create a good knowledgable post compilation from this, others may use it...

• 1. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
          gohip

Okay, figured out Hermes issue, it required no extra configuration, just do as stated, copying the file to the env var it creates, i.e. on windows root of partition ".hermes" dir, then upon first launch of app, click file->open config-> and select "jboss-hermes-config.xml"

it browsed directly to queues, showing my newly created queue, it also showed messages on queue. When it tried to display message though, I began to get classdefnotfound errors, so I added all the jars it wanted, one after other, till errors cleared up

Now hermes, can show "header", "to string", "hex", and "xml" views, but errors with following message on "payload" view "Unable to display message: null"

andrew or anyone, is this cus it states in jboss-service.xml that for the JMSMailListener mBean that:

"JMS is used to asynchronously process mails, however the bodies are not stored via JMS as JBossMQ, the present
          JBosss messaging solution, doesn't do this efficiently. This is used for normal mail processing."

If this is true, and the root cause, is there something I can tweak, in my newly created/custom MailListener, or in the config, that could also add the message body to the mail object, since it seems to be lacking, it appears that this is whAt "payload" possibly refers to.

It seems that if hermes was able to latch onto the JBoss MQ's so readily, then it should be a problem plugging in the sample code I referred to earlier, will let you all know how it goes

Any help insight, or comments are greatly appreciated

• 2. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
            gohip

okay, getting there...

I changed the MailBodyManger mBean UseStore attribute to false in jboss-service.xml.

This caused numerous things to happen, many apparently bad, but one good, i.e. in hermes, i could now see the payload!

Previously, when trying to view the payload in Hermes, it stated the following "Unable to display message: null", it now showed all sorts of interesting "stuff".

I also found that by doing this, in the hex, i could see the Email's Message Body!

The bad things that happened were...

The mail never got delivered to user
            I began to get the "unknown user" error again
            And I think, the mailbodymanger, had issues finding the body, but cant recall.

So it seems, setting this attribute partially helped, I wonder if it needs to be set before install/running of app. Or is there another setting, that goes hand in hand with this guys?

I understand, that it's stated that the JBoss MQ doesnt handle efficiently, but ATM, neither is our mySQL install, and we had hoped to read full email messages from the queue.

I know you guys are away...so I guess I'll need to just keep plugging along, i guess I'll comare the system.outs from when server runs with attribute set to true, and then false. I guess I could construct my own message, and stick that on queue, but hate to duplicate work...

• 3. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
              gohip

I am still having issues, with trying to get JBoss Mail server to put the full messages body on the queue also, when I set the MBean usestore to false, even from beginning, I.e. post running for first time, it is still throwing this error....

looking at deliverymdb and its associated classes and workers, trying to figure out

anyone have any ideas....yet?

09:59:52,718 INFO [ConnectionHandler] connected: /192.168.69.1 to: /192.168.69.1 until: 11503909127
              09:59:53,265 INFO [Mail] all headers after loading: Return-Path: <jasong@192.168.69.1>
              Received: from AZCP02 (AZ-CP-02 192.168.69.1) by AZ-CP-02/JBossMail 1.0M4 (192.168.69.1)
               with SMTP id 1150390793265583.4862634119211; Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:59:53 -0700 (MST)
              Message-ID: <001901c6909d$1ee272a0$6501180a@AZCP02>
              To: <jasong@192.168.69.1>
              Subject: test
              Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:59:52 -0700
              MIME-Version: 1.0
              Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
               boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0016_01C69062.725D7500"
              X-Priority: 3
              X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
              X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
              X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2869

09:59:53,296 INFO [JMSMailListener] PUT MESSAGE ON QUEUE:org.jboss.mail.message.Mail@10697e2
              09:59:53,453 INFO [ConnectionHandler] ConnectionHandler finished
              09:59:54,031 ERROR [LocalDelivery] Could not deliver local mail
              java.lang.NullPointerException
               at org.jboss.mail.mailbox.MessageData.<init>(MessageData.java:117)
               at org.jboss.mail.mailhandler.localmailbox.LocalDelivery.org$jboss$mail$mailhandler$localmai
              lbox$LocalDelivery$deliver$aop(LocalDelivery.java:101)
               at org.jboss.mail.mailhandler.localmailbox.LocalDelivery.access$1(LocalDelivery.java)
               at org.jboss.mail.mailhandler.localmailbox.LocalDelivery$deliver_7597238674321613949.invokeN
              ext(LocalDelivery$deliver_7597238674321613949.java)
               at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.invokeInOurTx(TxPolicy.java:79)
               at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxInterceptor$RequiresNew.invoke(TxInterceptor.java:253)
               at org.jboss.mail.mailhandler.localmailbox.LocalDelivery$deliver_7597238674321613949.invokeN
              ext(LocalDelivery$deliver_7597238674321613949.java)
               at org.jboss.mail.mailhandler.localmailbox.LocalDelivery.deliver(LocalDelivery.java)
               at org.jboss.mail.mailhandler.localmailbox.LocalDelivery.send(LocalDelivery.java:43)
               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
               at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
               at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
               at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:141)
               at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:80)
               at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:72)
               at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:245)
               at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:644)
               at javax.management.MBeanServerInvocationHandler.invoke(Unknown Source)
               at $Proxy57.send(Unknown Source)
               at org.jboss.mail.MailListenerChainService.processMail(MailListenerChainService.java:166)
               at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:141)
               at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:80)
               at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.AbstractInterceptor.invoke(AbstractInterceptor.java:118)
               at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:74)
               at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.invoke(ModelMBeanOperationInterce
              ptor.java:127)
               at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:74)
               at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:245)
               at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:644)
               at javax.management.MBeanServerInvocationHandler.invoke(Unknown Source)
               at $Proxy96.processMail(Unknown Source)
               at org.jboss.mail.delivery.DeliveryMDB.onMessage(DeliveryMDB.java:72)
               at org.jboss.invocation.Invocation.performCall(Invocation.java:345)
               at org.jboss.ejb.MessageDrivenContainer$ContainerInterceptor.invoke(MessageDrivenContainer.j
              ava:475)
               at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.CachedConnectionInterceptor.invoke(CachedConnectionI
              nterceptor.java:149)
               at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.MessageDrivenInstanceInterceptor.invoke(MessageDrivenInstanceInterc
              eptor.java:101)
               at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.CallValidationInterceptor.invoke(CallValidationInterceptor.java:48)

at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.AbstractTxInterceptor.invokeNext(AbstractTxInterceptor.java:106)
               at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.TxInterceptorCMT.runWithTransactions(TxInterceptorCMT.java:335)
               at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.TxInterceptorCMT.invoke(TxInterceptorCMT.java:166)
               at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.RunAsSecurityInterceptor.invoke(RunAsSecurityInterceptor.java:94)
               at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor.invoke(LogInterceptor.java:192)
               at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.invoke(ProxyFactoryFinderInterceptor.
              java:122)
               at org.jboss.ejb.MessageDrivenContainer.internalInvoke(MessageDrivenContainer.java:389)
               at org.jboss.ejb.Container.invoke(Container.java:873)
               at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.jms.JMSContainerInvoker.invoke(JMSContainerInvoker.java:1077)
               at org.jboss.ejb.plugins.jms.JMSContainerInvoker$MessageListenerImpl.onMessage(JMSContainerI
              nvoker.java:1379)
               at org.jboss.jms.asf.StdServerSession.onMessage(StdServerSession.java:256)
               at org.jboss.mq.SpyMessageConsumer.sessionConsumerProcessMessage(SpyMessageConsumer.java:904
              )
               at org.jboss.mq.SpyMessageConsumer.addMessage(SpyMessageConsumer.java:160)
               at org.jboss.mq.SpySession.run(SpySession.java:333)
               at org.jboss.jms.asf.StdServerSession.run(StdServerSession.java:180)
               at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(PooledExecutor.java:743)
               at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
              09:59:54,171 ERROR [LocalDelivery] Unable to deliver message to local user: jasong@192.168.69.1. Un
              known user.
              09:59:54,218 INFO [JMSMailListener] PUT MESSAGE ON QUEUE:org.jboss.mail.message.MailRetryWrapper@78
              8a7b

it seems if i set that mBean to false, it can no longer figure out if theres a user by that name or not, even though it does accept the mail.

• 4. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
                gohip

Okay, set the MailBodyManger mBean UseStore attribute back to true, as it seems it can't tell if a user is local, and has a mailbox, unless set to true.

You'd think there wpuld be a setting, or a couple settings, to allow a messages body to be NOT stored, and instead put on the queue.

Whe you guys get back, if you notice this thread, will you let me know if this is true?

Until then, this is what I did...

In my mailListener, I create a new mail message, based on the "real" message. the new mail message, get's all the values from the "real" message, but instead of using a storedMailBody, it uses a simpleMialBody. So I read the "real" messages mail body from the store, piping it into the new messages simpleMailBody.

I then take this new message, and stick it on my custom queue, instaed of the "real"/original mail message.

As i said, there must be a better way of doing this, but until found, this works for now!

If anyone needs an example of how it was done, feel free to post here!

• 5. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
                  gohip

Hi all,

I posted this in the other JBoss MQ forum, but no one has responded, and it relates to this thread...does anyone have knowledge of this aspect...Andrew, I saw your post, I believe, dealing with an issue you had with MQ and userrolesconfig...

Locking down message queues:
                  http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=85722

• 6. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
                    gohip

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 7. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
                      acoliver

Really the non-store functionality is deprecated. Its not really a great idea frankly.

• 8. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
                        sappenin

In response to "locking down the JBCS message queue's"...(Assuming you still haven't gotten an answer on that)...here's how I locked down mine.

<mbean code="org.jboss.mq.server.jmx.Queue"
                         name="jboss.mq.destination:service=Queue,name=myQueue">
                         <attribute name="SecurityConf">
                         <security>
                         <role name="guest" read="false" write="false"
                         create="false" />
                         <!-- Be sure to change the 'system' password in the DB JMS_USERS table -->
                         <role name="system" read="true" write="true"
                         create="true" />
                         <role name="noacc" read="false" write="false"
                         create="false" />
                         </security>
                         </attribute>

<depends optional-attribute-name="DestinationManager">
                         jboss.mq:service=DestinationManager
                         </depends>
                         <depends optional-attribute-name="SecurityManager">
                         jboss.mq:service=SecurityManager
                         </depends>

</mbean>

1.) I believe that if a role name is not specified in the security attributes, then the permissions for that role defaults to everything=false (i.e., no read, no write, no create).

2.) Just in case, you should remove any default/un-needed JMS Roles in JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/jms/mysql-jdbc-state-service.xml (and from the JMS_ROLES database table). You have to play around with which roles to keep, and which to get rid of, but (I'm pretty sure) #1 above holds true.

3.) If you lock down all of the roles in JBCS, then I'm not sure how JBCS will behave. For example, the you need to tweak the code that tries to connect to the queue (and place a message on the queue) by giving it credentials (username/password). This happens (generally) in org.jboss.mail.maillistener.JMSMailListener with the QueueConnectionFactory. The current JBCS code does the following (at least in the JMSMailListener.sendMessageQueue:
                         PreparedMail preparedMail = prepareMail(mail);
                         QueueConnection qc = qcf.createQueueConnection();

The "createQueueConnection()" function can take a username/password to authenticate to a JMS queue. I'm not certain how to best change the JBCS code to make this easily configurable. I'm not sure how smart it would be to place passwords in the xml config files. In my case, I have a custom JMSListener, and the password is indeed in the xml configuration file.

For even higher security, you may want to consider forcing JMS to connect over SSL. I haven't gotten that far yet.

Here's the code that I use in my own Listener.

final InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext(properties);
                        String sQueueName = "myQueue";
                        final Queue queue = (Queue) ctx.lookup(sQueueName);
                        final QueueConnectionFactory factory = (QueueConnectionFactory) ctx.lookup("ConnectionFactory");
                        cnn = factory.createQueueConnection(sUserId, sPassword);
                        sess = cnn.createQueueSession(false, QueueSession.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);
                        final ObjectMessage objMessage = sess.createObjectMessage(msgObject);
                        sender = sess.createSender(queue);

• 9. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
                          gohip

great sappenin, I will try that, much thanks...

andrew, only reason, I was trying to use "non-store", was because, as is, a message going onto the queue, has no body, as it is a store item. But I would like a separate java app, to be able to access this data (body) without having to go through mySQL, i.e. just wanted it to be able to get it from MQ.

Someone had mentioned, this was fixed in M5, is this true? I.e. I think if I tell it not to use a store, it still put a message on queue, with a stored mail body. But it's been a week or two, so can't remember.

• 10. Re: Tips on interacting with JBoss Mail Server Message Queue
                            osterday

I'm pretty sure the body isn't put in the queue - I think Andrew said something about the current JBoss JMS not handling the blob efficiently.

Actually, we like having the original email being stored in JBCS as a backup in case something happens in our handler and our app's process fails for some reason.

-Pat