1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2008 7:44 AM by wanttransaction

JTS and server clusters

asookazian

"local-only means that the transaction allows resource enlistment at only one JVM and does not generally perform transaction context propagation on remote business method calls. When used with JBossAS 4.x a separate client JVM may still manage transaction boundaries (begin/commit/rollback) for the JTA. Databases and message queues running as separate processes may still be enlisted as XAResources provided they have drivers that support this. Therefore JTA is adequate for most usage. The JTS is required only where a transaction needs to span multiple server JVMs, such as in an application server cluster using transactional EJBs."

source: http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossTransactionsVersionGuide

Someone please elaborate on the blue highlighted statement above regarding clustering. Does this mean if JTS is not installed/configured then EJB clustering will not work? Is this true for stateless as well as stateful session beans?

Is there a JTS installation process for JBoss 4.2.1.GA? thx.

• 1. Re: JTS and server clusters
          wanttransaction

hi,

seems like there is no JTS version that is compatible with JBossAS 4.2.x. I don't know if a clustered configuration works without JTS.

This is what happens with tow independent JBossAS instances using JTA:

I have Bean A on Host 1 call a method of Bean B on Host 2 within a Container Managed Transaction. After the call I roll back the transaction, but the rollback only happens on Host 1, on Host 2 a commit happens. If Bean A and Bean B are both deployed on Host 1 (same server JVM) the rollback works fine.