1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 8:45 AM by marklittle

Transaction timeout on idle connection

waxmachine

Hi!

We're using JBoss Transactions JTA 4.2.3.SP5. Sometimes our users store a lot of objects into the database. When this takes a long time, JTA times out with the following message:

[com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.coordinator.BasicAction_58] - Abort of action id -6d7321b1:d5c3:49648d39:7 invoked while multiple threads active within it.
      [com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.coordinator.CheckedAction_2] - CheckedAction::check - atomic action -6d7321b1:d5c3:49648d39:7 aborting with 1 threads active!

I understand that this is because the ReaperThread abortes the transaction, because it took too long. Unfortunately, at this point there is still data being transferred to the database. So, the ReaperThread aborts a valid connection!

As a workaround I increased the timeout value to 30 minutes, but this leads to the following issues:
      1) Eventually someone wants to put a real lot of objects into the database and this may take more than 30 minutes. The ReaperThread will abort this process too. Unfortuanately, it's not possible for us to tell in advance how much time a transaction may need and what would be a good timeout value.
      2) If there is a deadlock or something like that, the database is locked for 30 minutes.

It would be better if the ReaperTread would only abort the transaction if the working thread is not transferring data to the database anymore (because of a dead lock for instance). How do I achieve that? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
      michel

• 1. Re: Transaction timeout on idle connection
          marklittle

"waxmachine" wrote:

I understand that this is because the ReaperThread abortes the transaction, because it took too long. Unfortunately, at this point there is still data being transferred to the database. So, the ReaperThread aborts a valid connection!

You may think it's valid, but the TM has no way of knowing. The standards (JTA and OTS) and pretty clear on this: if the timeout goes off then you abort the transaction.

As a workaround I increased the timeout value to 30 minutes, but this leads to the following issues:
          1) Eventually someone wants to put a real lot of objects into the database and this may take more than 30 minutes. The ReaperThread will abort this process too. Unfortuanately, it's not possible for us to tell in advance how much time a transaction may need and what would be a good timeout value.
          2) If there is a deadlock or something like that, the database is locked for 30 minutes.

It would be better if the ReaperTread would only abort the transaction if the working thread is not transferring data to the database anymore (because of a dead lock for instance). How do I achieve that? Any ideas will be appreciated.

And it gets to know this ... how? What metrics and heuristics should it use to ensure that the transaction does "eventually" roll back? How do you care to merge this with what the standards require? That last one is very important for interoperability and portability.