4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 2:10 PM by Jeremy Levy

Transaction Recovery -- XAResource + AppServerJDBCXARecovery

Jeremy Levy Newbie

Following the work that John Mazz has done in getting XAConnections to be recoverable from his article:

http://management-platform.blogspot.com/2008/11/transaction-recovery-in-jbossas.html

I have set up jbossjta-properties.xml in JBoss 4.2.3 for my XA Datasource, however it does seem to do any anything.

On startup:

14:45:21,763 DEBUG [AppServerJDBCXARecovery] AppServerJDBCXARecovery datasource classname = com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlXADataSource
      14:45:21,879 DEBUG [AppServerJDBCXARecovery] Created new XAConnection
      14:47:31,896 DEBUG [AppServerJDBCXARecovery] XA datasource does not support isValid method - connection will always be recreated
      14:47:31,931 DEBUG [AppServerJDBCXARecovery] Created new XAConnection

I see the above output after JBoss has started so I know at least that it's being 'configured'. But the transactions never actually get recovered..

After a failure the following keeps repeating..

14:51:52,252 WARN [loggerI18N] [com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.resources.arjunacore.norecoveryxa] [com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.resources.arjunacore.norecoveryxa] Could not find new XAResource to use for recovering non-serializable XAResource < 131075, 29, 27, 1-7f000001:eb6b:4b0ae60f:42007f000001:eb6b:4b0ae60f:425a >
      14:51:52,279 WARN [loggerI18N] [com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.resources.arjunacore.norecoveryxa] [com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.resources.arjunacore.norecoveryxa] Could not find new XAResource to use for recovering non-serializable XAResource < 131075, 29, 27, 1-7f000001:eb6b:4b0ae60f:832d7f000001:eb6b:4b0ae60f:83d1 >
      14:51:52,282 WARN [loggerI18N] [com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.resources.arjunacore.norecoveryxa] [com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.resources.arjunacore.norecoveryxa] Could not find new XAResource to use for recovering non-serializable XAResource < 131075, 29, 27, 1-7f000001:eb6b:4b0ae60f:5ebc7f000001:eb6b:4b0ae60f:5f1b >
      14:51:52,302 DEBUG [AppServerJDBCXARecovery] Created new XAConnection

Shouldn't it be doing more?

• 1. Re: Transaction Recovery -- XAResource + AppServerJDBCXAReco
          Jonathan Halliday Master

Are you sure the resources in question belong to mysql? If so a) have you configured the nodeid/recoverynodes? and b) are you aware there are significant limitations in mysql's XA implementation that will prevent it working in certain use cases?

• 2. Re: Transaction Recovery -- XAResource + AppServerJDBCXAReco
            Jeremy Levy Newbie

The exceptions that proceed the non-recoverable message are transaction failures, so no, I'm not positive they come from mysql / the datasource. Is there a better way to tell?

a) have you configured the nodeid/recoverynodes?

I have the following configured in jbossjta-properties.xml:

<property name="com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.recovery.recoveryExtension1" value="com.arjuna.ats.internal.arjuna.recovery.AtomicActionRecoveryModule"/>
            <property name="com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.recovery.recoveryExtension2" value="com.arjuna.ats.internal.txoj.recovery.TORecoveryModule"/>
            <property name="com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.recovery.recoveryExtension3" value="com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.recovery.arjunacore.XARecoveryModule"/>

<property name="com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.xa.nodeIdentifier" value="1"/>

<property name="com.arjuna.ats.jta.recovery.XAResourceRecoveryJDBC" value="org.rhq.jbossatx.jta.recovery.AppServerJDBCXARecovery;MySqlDS"/>

<property name="com.arjuna.ats.jta.xaRecoveryNode" value="1"/>

Is there more that I should have?

b) are you aware there are significant limitations in mysql's XA implementation that will prevent it working in certain use cases?

I have read over:
            http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/xa-restrictions.html

I'm not clear on if that should effect recovery however.

Thanks.

Jeremy

• 3. Re: Transaction Recovery -- XAResource + AppServerJDBCXAReco
              Vicky Kak Master

<property name="com.arjuna.ats.jta.recovery.XAResourceRecoveryJDBC" value="org.rhq.jbossatx.jta.recovery.AppServerJDBCXARecovery;MySqlDS"/>

I am confused to see the above configuration, check in this how to set the recovery plugin
              http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/labs/labs/jbosstm/trunk/atsintegration/classes/com/arjuna/ats/internal/jbossatx/jta/AppServerJDBCXARecovery.java

It should be like this
              <property name="com.arjuna.ats.jta.recovery.XAResourceRecovery1" value= "com.arjuna.ats.internal.jbossatx.jta.AppServerJDBCXARecovery;jndiname=MyExampleDbName"/>

Where does "org.rhq.jbossatx.jta.recovery.AppServerJDBCXARecovery" come from ?

• 4. Re: Transaction Recovery -- XAResource + AppServerJDBCXAReco
                Jeremy Levy Newbie

It's just the package name, the XAResourceRecoveryJDBC isn't included with JBoss 4.2.2 so depending on where you get it from just put in whatever package you want.