8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 2:38 AM by garuda

JBoss ESB and 64bit

massios

Has anyone tried running ESB 4.7 or 4.6 using 64bit windows, 64bit java and jboss 5.1.0 GA?

Nikos.

• 1. Re: JBoss ESB and 64bit
          ryanhos
          I'll let you know in a week, or so.  We're doing the migration from AS 4.2.3, ESB 4.5, Win32 to AS 5.1.0, ESB 4.7, Win64 right now.
          • 2. Re: JBoss ESB and 64bit
            massios

Any news?

• 3. Re: JBoss ESB and 64bit
              ryanhos
              I'm sorry, Nikos.  Other tasks got in the way of this migration.  You know how it goes, right?  I do intend to provide a full report after we get the whole thing stood up.
              • 4. Re: JBoss ESB and 64bit
                garuda

Hi all,

so do I understand you right that JBoss ESB 4.X (We use JBoss ESB 4.4 on JBoss AS 4.2) won`t run under JVM 64Bit (resp. Win64) ?

Best regards,

Dennis

• 5. Re: JBoss ESB and 64bit
                  beve

Hi guys,

I'm running Mac OS X with a 64 bit processor and running 64 bit java.

Is this a problem with windows 64 bit java? If so could you tell me what it is...I'd just like to understand the issue here

Thanks,

/Daniel

• 6. Re: JBoss ESB and 64bit
                    garuda

Hi experts,

sorry for the stupid questions, but so far I have found no documentation about this on official JBoss ESB Sites.

We intend to migrate OS from Windows 32 Bit to Windows 64 Bit. Of course I want to be sure, that no porblems will occur and our JBoss ESB 4.4 installation  (on JBoss AS 4.2) will run as perfect as before. Therefore two very important questions:

(1) When we use JRE 64Bit, will JBossESB work as before ?

(2) If (1) doesn`t work: Is it possible to run JBoss ESB 4.4 with JRE 32Bit (as before) under Windows 64Bit ?

Thank you very much for the answers.

Br,

Dennis

• 7. Re: JBoss ESB and 64bit
                      ryanhos

Dennis,

1.)  Probably.  I think you're missing the fact that the migration should be transparent to any pure-java application.

2.)  It is completely valid to run JBoss within a 32-bit JVM on a 64-bit Windows OS (I'm doing it now).  You must remember to install the 32-bit versions of native libraries that your application requires (Oracle client, anything supporting JNI in your codebase, etc).

Our full 64-bit migration is approaching.  The only thing that was holding us up was tooling.  One large vendor has not provided a 64-bit compatible version of an Eclipse plugin which relies upon native code.  We eventually realized that we could run Eclipse itself in a 32-bit JVM, and invoke Junit tests from Eclipse in 64-bit JVMs, using all of the 64-bit native libraries which support our application deployment, so the lack of vendor support was moot.

I'm not concerned.  I do not foresee any insurmountable problems with the migration, since the shipped bytecode is platform independent, but perhaps I'm being naive about a particular aspect of the migration.

• 8. Re: JBoss ESB and 64bit
                        garuda

Hi Ryan,

thanks for fast reply.

@Daniel: Is there also an "official" statement regarding running JBossESB 4.4 within 32Bit / 64Bit JVM on Windows 64Bit OS?

Br,

Dennis