3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 12:58 PM by galder.zamarreno

Jboss Cache clustering in standalone mode

Hi All,

I have my cache application in standalone mode outside Jboss using cache version caynene, I have to 2 unix boxes where I want to start one instance of the cache application. Now, I want these two to join these two cache instance to join the same cluster, so that they can replicate. Can I do that with out using JBoss cluster, using some configuration files and required binaries like jgroups?

Also, I have 2 instances of JBoss EAP 5.0 running on these unix boxes started in clustering mode. But the cache application as stated above is hosted outside the JBoss. Do I need yo use the JBoss servers and their cluster to get these two standalone caches yo replicate in same cluster?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Taran S.

• 1. Re: Jboss Cache clustering in standalone mode
          mircea.markus

I have my cache application in standalone mode outside Jboss using cache version caynene, I have to 2 unix boxes where I want to start one instance of the cache application. Now, I want these two to join these two cache instance to join the same cluster, so that they can replicate. Can I do that with out using JBoss cluster, using some configuration files and required binaries like jgroups?

Yes, JBossCache is a general purpose clustering library and it can form clusters outside AS. I suggest you take at the available JBoss Cache documentation: http://www.jboss.org/file-access/default/members/jbosscache/freezone/docs/3.2.1.GA/userguide_en/html/index.html

Also, I have 2 instances of JBoss EAP 5.0 running on these unix boxes started in clustering mode. But the cache application as stated above is hosted outside the JBoss. Do I need yo use the JBoss servers and their cluster to get these two standalone caches yo replicate in same cluster?

no, you don't need that. Even more, I don't reckon joining the JBoss AS cluster is an good idea, as that would interfere with AS clustering.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Jboss Cache clustering in standalone mode

Thanks, I could see both caches in cluster, as I can put an object and retrieve from another after replication.I have same configuration file for each instance of JBoss cache hosted outside JBoss EAP.

But I would like to know how merely having same cluster name for cache can cause 2 seperate instances of cache hosted on seperate boxes talk to each other. Is it something due to JBoss server being started in clustering mode, but remember my cache application is hosted outside EAP as above and it also doesn't have same cluster name as JBoss server. I'm newbie in this field and any pointers are highly appreciated.

Many thx in advance,

Regards,

TS

• 3. Re: Jboss Cache clustering in standalone mode
              galder.zamarreno