4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2010 9:44 AM by adamw

Getting a revision based on date

Hi

I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to achieve the following:

I would like to return a version of an entity based on a given as of date.  I had a look at the AuditQuery and tried a few things but didn't get very far (using the revisionDate).  I would appreciate it very much if someone could give me a pointer on how to achieve this.

Thanks

Amin

• 1. Re: Getting a revision based on date
          aminmc

Hi

After some playing around I think I may have got it but I'm not 100% sure.  It would be great if someone could just verify:

AuditReader reader = AuditReaderFactory.get(session);

return (Work)reader.createQuery().forRevisionsOfEntity(Work.class, true, true)

.add(AuditEntity.id().eq(work.getId()))

.add(AuditEntity.revisionProperty("timestamp")

.ge(asOfDate.getTime())).getSingleResult();

Is this ok?

Cheers

Amin

• 2. Re: Getting a revision based on date
            adamw

"Almost" .

You have to limit your search results to 1 and order by the revision date as you'll get possibly many revisions, but you are only interested by the first one. And you need to find the highest timestamp *lower* than the given one, so you'll need to replace ge with le.

Or, alternatively, you can obtain a revision number for a given date using AuditReader and then query using this revision number.

Adam

• 3. Re: Getting a revision based on date
              aminmc

Hi Adam

Thanks for your reply.  I tried your alternate suggestion that that worked like a charm!  I tried the single query approach couldn't get it to work.  Which approach would you recommend?  I normally don't say this but I'm looking for the approach that offers good performance.

I tried this and obviously I'm doing something wrong

(Work) reader.createQuery().forRevisionsOfEntity(Work.class, true, true)

.add(AuditEntity.id().eq(work.getId()))

.addOrder(AuditEntity.revisionProperty("timestamp").asc())

.add(AuditEntity.revisionProperty("timestamp").le(asOfDate.getTime()))

.add(AuditEntity.revisionNumber().minimize()).getSingleResult();

Thanks

Amin

• 4. Re: Getting a revision based on date
                adamw

Hello,

I think you don't need AuditEntity.revisionNumber().minimize(), just set the number of returned rows to 1 (the method's name is setSelectMaxRows or setMaxRows).

Both solutions are comparable in performance, the alternate executes 2 queries, but that's really a very small overhead. Unless you are doing thousands of such lookups every moment this shouldn't matter .

Adam