JDBS v2 uses eclipse 3.4.
JDBS v3 uses eclipse 3.5. So you couldn't at all update from JDBS v2 to v3. It should be a new installation.
You cannot use update to install JBoss Tools 3 over previous JBoss Tools 2 for several reason.
1. JBoss Tools 3 is for Eclipse 3.5 Galileo and cannot be installed on Eclipse 3.4 Ganymede
2. You cannot do that in two steps update Eclipse 3.4 to Eclipse 3.5 and then update JBoss Tools 2 to 3, because Eclipse doesn't support updates between major releases like 3.4 to 3.5.
So the only way for you do it from scratch and install it by following this manual "JBoss Tools 3.1 Installation From Update Site". I personally use JEE bundle, because it is easier to do reinstall in this configuration.
However, this scenario should work:
I am working with eclipse 3.5 JEE-Bundle and actually I have installed JBT 2.
(I have never had 3.4 and updatet it to 3.5)
So I am using the update site to update jbt 2 to jbt 3.
Does this work?
I have installed jbt 3 via update site and in my eclipse 3.5 and looked in my plugin-directory:
I see double entries:
org.hibernate.eclipse_3.3.0.M3-N200907020001-H7 // from my previous installation
org.hibernate.eclipse_3.3.0.v201003050540R-H56-GA // from the new update-installation
So I guess, the update does not overwrite or delete other older versions of the same plugin! Am I right? This was my origin question.
However, after update I can use jbt 3, but my plugin/feature-directory is bloated with older obsolete jboss-tools-libs.
I've checked that again and what I have is:
1. JBoss Tools 2.0.X for Eclipse 3.3 (was built with eclipse 220.127.116.11)
2. JBoss Tools 2.1.X for Eclipse 3.3 (was built with eclipse 3.3.2)
3. JBoss Tools 3.0.X for Eclipse 3.4 (was built with eclipse 3.4.2)
4. JBoss Tools 3.1.X for Eclipse 3.5 (was built with eclipse 3.5.2)
I think JBoss Tools 2.0 and 2.1. might be installed on 3.4 because they have no restriction for eclipse plugin versions in manifest, but I doubt it would work.
But anyway if you have Eclipse 3.5 and JBossTools 2 then update to JBossToos 3 should work for you
If plug-in is not a singleton it is not removed during update, that's why you have two org.hibernate.eclipse. Eclipse will load most recent version. Which one? You can check in About dialog. Open it by "Help->About Eclipse" then hit hibernate icon.
BTW you were using JBT 3.1.0.M3.