2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 4:24 AM by bgillis

org.hornetq.api.core.PropertyConversionException: Invalid conversion

bgillis

I'm trying to setup a HornetQ JMS bridge between HornetQ 2.0.0 and Websphere MQ 6.0.2.5.

A message is sent by an ESB instance to a HornetQ queue (hornetq-request-queue). A first HornetQ JMS bridge (front-2-back-bridge) consumes this message from this HornetQ queue and send it to a Websphere MQ queue (wmq-request-queue). In response to this message, a response message is sent to another Websphere MQ queue (wmq-response-queue). Then a second HornetQ JMS bridge (back-2-front-bridge) consumes this response message from this Websphere MQ queue and send them to another HornetQ queue (hornetq-response-queue).

It was quite simple to setup all this but unfortunately, we have problems to re-read message from the HornetQ queue containing response messages (hornetq-response-queue). As a matter of fact when the method getJMSCorrelationID is called, HornetQ always returns the following exception

Root Exception stack trace:
      org.hornetq.api.core.PropertyConversionException: Invalid conversion
              at org.hornetq.utils.TypedProperties.getSimpleStringProperty(TypedProperties.java:414)
              at org.hornetq.core.message.impl.MessageImpl.getSimpleStringProperty(MessageImpl.java:737)
              at org.hornetq.core.message.impl.MessageImpl.getStringProperty(MessageImpl.java:718)
              at org.hornetq.jms.client.HornetQMessage.getJMSCorrelationID(HornetQMessage.java:391)

I've discovered that HornetQ uses the following code (in org.hornetq.jms.client.HornetQMessage) when a HornetQ bridge consumes this message and converts it to a HornetQ message:

try
           {
             byte[] corrIDBytes = foreign.getJMSCorrelationIDAsBytes();
             setJMSCorrelationIDAsBytes(corrIDBytes);

}
           catch (JMSException e)
           {
             String corrIDString = foreign.getJMSCorrelationID();
             if (corrIDString != null)
             {
               setJMSCorrelationID(corrIDString);
             }
           }

In my case, a byte array is built by Websphere MQ JMS implementation from the internal String representation of the correlation ID when the method foreign.getJMSCorrelationIDAsBytes() is called. As a consequence, the HornetQ message is constructed with a correlation ID as bytes. However, the HornetQ message would have been constructed with a correlation ID as String if the method foreign.getJMSCorrelationID() was called at first.

When this HornetQ message is consumed by my ESB instance, a org.hornetq.api.core.PropertyConversionException is then thrown because HornetQ always expects a String value when the method foreign.getJMSCorrelationID() is called. That would have not been happen if the method foreign.getJMSCorrelationID() was called at first as explained previously.

I think that this part of org.hornetq.jms.client.HornetQMessage must be completely re-thought and re-written accordingly to processed this kind of issues.

As far as I know, both methods getJMSCorrelationID() and getJMSCorrelationIDAsBytes() of javax.jms.Message (described in the JMS specifications version 1.1) could return null or throw a javax.jms.JMSException. In my opinion, if a JMSCorrelationID is available as a String through getJMSCorrelationID(), HornetQ should always privilege that representation over the byte array representation of the correlation ID, eventually available though getJMSCorrelationIDAsBytes(). However, if only a byte array representation is available though getJMSCorrelationIDAsBytes(), HornetQ should throw a javax.jms.JMSException because HornetQ is not able to re-read the same message afterward.

What's your opinion ? Is there anyway to solve this issue ?