6 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 11:09 PM by Yong Hao Gao

Upgrading Apache FOP to 0.95

Yong Hao Gao Master

Hi guys,

As part of chinese support, I plan to upgrade fop in HornetQ lib/docbook-support. The current fop.jar in the HornetQ repo is of version 0.20.5. The latest Fop version is 0.95. I have experimented with both versions and I can successfully get a simple chinese PDF with 0.95 but failed to do so with 0.20.5. Little document about 0.20.5 can be found. So I will go for 0.95.

The upgrading basically includes replacing fop.jar as well as its dependent jars.

I know there is an on-going work in project PressGang using maven docbook plugin. However this Fop upgrading should be an relatively easy task and will serve as a intermeidate solution before maven doc-book plugin become available.

If no one objects I'll go on with it.

Howard

• 1. Re: Upgrading Apache FOP to 0.95
          Tim Fox Master

Fine as long as there are no license restrictions with any of the fonts you are using.

• 2. Re: Upgrading Apache FOP to 0.95
            Jeff Mesnil Master

I can no longer build HornetQ distribution: the build fails with a FOP exception on a missing font:

lang.docpdf:
                 [copy] Copying 8 files to /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/docs/user-manual/build/en/pdf/images
                 [java] Making portrait pages on USletter paper (8.5inx11in)
                  [fop] 26 mai 2010 10:22:52 org.apache.fop.apps.FopFactoryConfigurator configure
                  [fop] INFO: Default page-height set to: 11in
                  [fop] 26 mai 2010 10:22:52 org.apache.fop.apps.FopFactoryConfigurator configure
                  [fop] INFO: Default page-width set to: 8.26in
                  [fop] /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/docs/user-manual/build/en/pdf/docbook_fop.tmp -> /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/docs/user-manual/build/en/pdf/HornetQ_UserManual.pdf

BUILD FAILED
            /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/build.xml:204: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/build-hornetq.xml:1001: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/build-hornetq.xml:1096: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/build-hornetq.xml:1117: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/docs/user-manual/build.xml:9: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/lib/docbook-support/support.xml:99: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /Users/jmesnil/RedHat/Workspace/hornetq/lib/docbook-support/support.xml:144: org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: Failed to resolve font with embed-url 'file:///usr/share/fonts/truetype/wqy/wqy-zenhei.ttc'

(Note that I am on Mac OS X).
            • 3. Re: Upgrading Apache FOP to 0.95
              Jeff Mesnil Master

can someone check that this work on Linux at least?

If not, we need to fix this ASAP to release 2.1.0.CR1 with the doc

• 4. Re: Upgrading Apache FOP to 0.95
                Clebert Suconic Master

it's also failing here:

/work/projects/trunk/build.xml:204: The following error occurred while executing this line:
                /work/projects/trunk/build-hornetq.xml:1001: The following error occurred while executing this line:
                /work/projects/trunk/build-hornetq.xml:1096: The following error occurred while executing this line:
                /work/projects/trunk/build-hornetq.xml:1117: The following error occurred while executing this line:
                /work/projects/trunk/docs/user-manual/build.xml:9: The following error occurred while executing this line:
                /work/projects/trunk/lib/docbook-support/support.xml:99: The following error occurred while executing this line:
                /work/projects/trunk/lib/docbook-support/support.xml:144: org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: Failed to resolve font with embed-url 'file:///usr/share/fonts/truetype/wqy/wqy-zenhei.ttc'
                • 5. Re: Upgrading Apache FOP to 0.95
                  Yong Hao Gao Master

probably I forgot to comment out the font path in fop config. It points to my local font dir.

I'll take a look.

• 6. Re: Upgrading Apache FOP to 0.95
                    Yong Hao Gao Master

should be ok now. I commented out the font path. Sorry about that.