and use a4j:support on my submitting button.
seems you made common mistake - defining support on action component will cause two concurrent requests. One from command component itself and second from support. components with built-in ajax like a4j:command* should not have nested support in order to rise requests.
Thanks for your response. I am already using 'disableDefault="true"' so that only the ajax request will be sent.
Even if I had made that mistake and was submitting the request twice, the original problem would remain.
Updated (mlk): I see now that you are also assuming that I am using a4j:commandButton. I am using a non-ajax command button (tomahawk command button in this particular case).
Since no one has responded, there's apparently is no simple obvious answer.
Thus, I have created a standalone minimal example application demonstrating this problem, which uses only Myfaces 1.2.8 core, facelets, and Richfaces 3.3.3 Final.
SimpleRichFacesProject-no-jar-dependencies.zip (10kb) does not include any of the jar files in the lib for those who just want to quickly look at the code. The jar files used are listed in the Eclipse .classpath file in the root of the project.
SimpleRichFacesProject.zip (7.6Mb) includes the jar files, but no container to run the project.
I ran it using jetty-6.1.14. environment-specific-libraries.user-library.xml contains the pointers to my jetty container jar files. This file is an exported Eclipse user-library. An eclipse user can install jetty somewhere on their system, modify the path to jetty in environment-specific-libraries.user-library.xml and import the user-library as "environment-specific-libraries" and run the "Jetty jsf project.launch" configuration target from Eclipse.
I put both an ajax submit button (h:commandButton containing a4j:support) and a standard h:commandButton in a form with an h:inputText field, both of which call the same actionListener. Both add the value of the inputText field to the list of added items, but only the non-ajax button clears the input field value.
One more addition before I open a bug tracking issue.
Adding <a4j:log> yields this error ""New node for ID j_id5:addItemForm is not present in response" which would seem to be related to the rerendering of the input fields in addItemForm.debug[13:18:54,566]: Update part of page for Id: j_id1 successfuldebug[13:18:54,566]: Update page part from call parameter for ID j_id5:addItemFormdebug[13:18:54,567]: call getElementById for id= j_id5:addItemFormerror[13:18:54,567]: New node for ID j_id5:addItemForm is not present in responsedebug[13:18:54,567]: Update page part from call parameter for ID itemListContainerdebug[13:18:54,567]: call getElementById for id= itemListContainer