0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 1:36 PM by jbossrmi123

Making RMI work in 'web' configurations?

jbossrmi123

Hi all,

Some background on how I am using JBoss:

I am new to JBoss and trying JBoss 5.0.1GA. I have two machines A and B inside the same domain. Both machines haves multiple JBoss deployments (based out of 'web' configuration) running (started using -c option). Each of these deployments run our application. The applications use RMI to talk to one another.

The RMI connects and bindings are taken care of in the source code of these applications using the Initial Context Factory: 'org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory' and relevent provider URLs / ports.

Prior to this setup, I was using the same setup but with the 'default' configurations for the deployments. There, I had to change the Naming Service port number to relevent ones for my applications, and RMI communication between machines A and B would take place.

I am having to switch over to the more light weight 'web' configuration, but it needs to support RMI communication between the applications running in the same / different machines. As I see it, the RMI binding between Jboss apps running in the same machine take place, but RMI communication between machine A and B has stopped working after I switched to 'web' configuration.

As I understand 'web' config is meant for web apps, but what extra steps need to be taken to make RMI communication work between two JBoss applications using 'web' configs?

I guessed the first thing would be to enable the Naming Service parallel to the 'default' config

I have been tried the following: in conf/jboss-service.xml: I have made the Naming Service mbean definition the same as in the 'default' configuration.

I've also taken care of binding the JBoss instance to any (0.0.0.0).

But that does not work. Should I be changing the default invokers to JRMP? What additional steps would be required?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.