I am attempting to use remote debugging from Eclipse to debug a clustered session serialization issue. But I am failing to connect (connection timeout).
- My test server has Apache acting as load balancer and 2 nodes all on the same server, using mod_jk for the communication between Apache and the jBoss nodes.
- I shut down node 2, so the only jBoss node running is node 1.
- I verified that port 8787 is open on the server.
- Eclipse debugging is setup to point to the IP and 8787 port.
- The node is setup to start with "set JAVA_OPTS= -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8787,server=y,suspend=n %JAVA_OPTS%" in service.bat
Any idea what might be wrong? Is it even possible to remote debug a jBoss cluster?
To answer your last question first, any java program, with the right VM parameters, can be remotely debugged. So, yes
To solve your problem, try setting suspend=y to verify whether those parameters are actually in use. The VM should block waiting for a debugger on start. Another thing to try is to verify the IP/host to which you're trying to connect.