1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 2:17 PM by clebert.suconic

Use of File.deleteOnExit will leak memory.

lbershad

This is just a warning...

I noticed that org.hornetq.core.client.impl.ClientConsumerImpl uses File.deleteOnExit if session.isCacheLargeMessageClient() is true.

File.deleteOnExit() keeps a list of pathnames that need to be deleted (even if File.delete() was subsequently called).

See [http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4513817]

{quote}

It would be a fairly simple matter to remove a file from the delete on
      exit list when it gets deleted, but that would be a violation of spec.
      File.deleteOnExit says "Requests that the file or directory denoted by this
      abstract pathname be deleted when the virtual machine terminates." So
      just because the file is deleted does not mean that it will not get re-opened later. The File object might even get garbage collected but another of the same
      name might be created later. We are obligated by the spec to remember the path
      and delete a file there when the VM terminates. There is no way around the
      memory leak without relaxing this spec.

{quote}

The leakage is small on a per file basis, but could add up as hornetq is a long running process.

• 1. Re: Use of File.deleteOnExit will leak memory.
          clebert.suconic

Thanks for the raising it.

I'm scheduled to do some work on Large Messages in two weeks, and I will remove the deleteOnExit from the code. I will see if there's a way around on the JDK when I get to it.. or if I will have to implement the feature myself in a way it won't leak.