1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 8:47 AM by mazz

Errors in Agent Log

ssroy73

Hi,

We are using JBoss 4.2.3 and Apache 2.2.12 in our application. While working, I noticed couple of errors in Agent log. Can anyone, please let me know the reason for same or I am missing something.

1)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not list files in /etc/postfix
              at org.rhq.augeas.util.Glob.match(Glob.java:128)
              at org.rhq.augeas.util.Glob.matchAll(Glob.java:145)
              at org.rhq.plugins.augeas.AugeasConfigurationDiscoveryComponent.checkFiles(AugeasConfigurationDiscoveryComponent.java:130)

2)

2010-07-27 14:03:52,028 DEBUG [InventoryManager.discovery-1] (enterprise.communications.command.client.ClientRemotePojoFactory)- {ClientRemotePojoFactory.execution-failure}Failed to execute remote POJO method [mergeInventoryReport]. Cause: java.lang.ClassCastException:java.lang.String cannot be cast to org.rhq.enterprise.communications.command.CommandResponse
      2010-07-27 14:03:52,028 WARN  [InventoryManager.discovery-1] (rhq.core.pc.inventory.AutoDiscoveryExecutor)- Exception caught while running server discovery
      java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to org.rhq.enterprise.communications.command.CommandResponse
              at org.rhq.enterprise.communications.command.client.JBossRemotingRemoteCommunicator.rawSend(JBossRemotingRemoteCommunicator.java:534)

3)

javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
              at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:645)
              at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:288)

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards - Roy

• 1. Re: Errors in Agent Log
          mazz

The first one is because you are not running the agent as root and some things need root to be monitored (like the postfix plugin).

You don't have to run the agent as root, but if you don't you must be prepared for errors like this because the operating system doesn't give access to some things unless you are root (like /etc/postfix). You can remove plugins (or disable them if you already deployed them) that you don't want to use or can't use if you don't want to run as root.

I haven't seen that second one in a long time and never did figure out why its happening. It is usually self-correcting - I've never seen a fatal error occur when that happens. I think its due to a corruption in the communications to the server - but I don't know.

Never saw the third one - need the full stack. I assume some plugin tried to make a JNDI call to a managed resource but failed for some reason. The core agent doesn't do anything with initial contexts, so it must be a plugin.