2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2010 4:25 AM by jcarnegi

JBoss AS 5.1.0.GA support dropped in JBoss OSGi 1.0.0 Beta8

jcarnegi

I've noticed the support for JBoss AS 5.1.0.GA has been removed from the OSGi 1.0.0 Beta 8 release (at least from the installer anyway).

I don't really have the option (at least not yet) to move to JBoss AS 6x, but I do want to start investigating integrating OSGi in to JBoss AS.

Are there any plans to support it in the near future?

Thanks in advance,

James.

• 1. Re: JBoss AS 5.1.0.GA support dropped in JBoss OSGi 1.0.0 Beta8
          thomas.diesler

With the upcoming Beta9 release we also drop support for AS6

AS7 M1 should come out in Nov-2010. This will be the release you would want to look at for AS/OSGi integration. Both AS and the OSGi use the common Modular Service Container (MSC) infrastructure, wich is about 2000% faster than the MC based implementation. The current core framework TCK coverage is at about 75% (without the optional security bits). We plan to release a certified OSGi core framework in Q1/2011

We'll continue with our regular 8 week release cycle and if you are interested in pure OSGi functioanlty, you can always use our standalone runtime. Only for cross-service (xservice) integration i.e. accessing OSGi service from non-OSGi deployments and vice versa you would need the AS integration.

• 2. Re: JBoss AS 5.1.0.GA support dropped in JBoss OSGi 1.0.0 Beta8
            jcarnegi

Thanks for your answer.

This is a real shame. Like others, we're going to have to consider other options for the OSGi/JEE integration (well - there's only one real alternative in the open-source space).

Regards,

James.