1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 3:22 AM by dgeraskov

Hibernate Tools - How to handle updates to one-to-many property

dizzy0ny

Hi,
      I am using the JBoss Hibernate plug in for eclipse and attempting to reverse engineer my pojos from a mysql database.  I have been able to do this with some success and i do see that the one-to-many and many-to-many properties are definied in the hbm files.  What is happening however, is if i have pojo that represents a one to many relationship, and i make changes to both tables, only the single 'one' table is updated. 

For example, let's say i have a Person and a PersonAddress table that contain foreign key relationships.  When i reverse engineer the Pojos from this database, what is created is a Person pojo which also contains a Set of PersonAddress:

public Set<PersonAddress> getPersonAddresses() {

return this.personAddresses;

}

public void setPersonAddresses(Set<PersonAddress> personAddresses) {
              this.personAddresses = personAddresses;
          }

public void setPersonAddresses(Set<PersonAddress> personAddresses) {

this.personAddresses = personAddresses;

}

If i update the Person.name and use hibernate to save that change, all works well.

If i update the name and also add a new address however, the name changes, but the address is not added to the PersonAddress table.

I am wondering if need to individually add the address first or if the above scenario should just work if i create a new PersonAddress, add it to the Person object using the setPersonAddresses method, and simply updating the Person object.

thanks much any help regarding this,

Mark