10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 3:49 PM by henk53

jboss tools property editor enhancements

nimo22

Is there a plan to extend the property editor of jboss tools to provide a comfortable way for editing i18n?

Look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipse-rbe/ (screenshots) which comes very handy when editing multiple language-files.

• 1. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
          akazakov

Please fill free to create a feature request in https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE

• 2. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
            nimo22

I have created a future request:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-7885

• 3. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
              mareshkau

Under what license provided eclipse-rbe?

May be this editor can be included into JBoss Tools without reimplementing this functionality?

• 4. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
                nimo22

License is GNU Library or LGPL.

look at look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipse-rbe/ (there is a link called "Show project details")

• 5. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
                  maxandersen

it have not had any releases since 2007 ...is it still alive?

• 6. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
                    nimo22
                    {quote}...is it still alive?{quote}.

I dont know !

Though, the functionalities of rbe are good, it could get better and therefore

I recommend to see this editor as an inspiration and base point for own I18N-PropertyEditor-implementation within rf-tools.

Also, I cannot guarantee that this editor is bug-free.

For example:

The rbe can generate the appropriate property-files by selecting languages via a nice wizard when going under File->New->ResourceBundle.

It generates property-files with the names for example: ApplicationResources_en_AT.properties or ApplicationResources_fr_FR.properties.

Now, I can open this by right-clicking the file and selecting the "open with ResourceBundle Editor". Then rbe-gui is shown. However, if you delete the substring "ApplicationResources_", then the nice features of rbe-gui will no more be available.

So you see, as it is, it is not perfect for a tighter integration in rf-tools. Besides, I guess, the convention says, that property-files should be called "fr_FR.properties" instead of "ResourceBundle_fr_FR.properties". So you have to rename it in production-mode.

I guess, it is better to see rbe as a base point for own I18N-PropertyEditor-implementation within rf-tools.

• 7. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
                      mareshkau

Just added rbe sources into eclipse. Its compiles without error and this plugin still works.

Also the plugin functionality caver creating i18n files and editing them, but not caver that we have today, externalization an string from page. So we can mix it.

• 8. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
                        nimo22

Fine! Yes, it would be good to adapt or fork the sources to secure a seamlessly integration with Jboss Tools - this (forked) project should be awaken within Jboss Tools.

• 9. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
                          juergen.zimmermann

There was (is?) an effort inside Eclipse to rewrite RBE as "Message Editor". So far I compiled this plugin myself:

• CVS-Repository:
                            • Host:            dev.eclipse.org
                            • Repository path: /cvsroot/technology
                            • User:            anonymous
                            • Password:
                            • Connection type: pserver
                          • Subdirectory HEAD/org.eclipse.babel/plugins: select the following plugins
                            • org.eclipse.babel.core
                            • org.eclipse.babel.editor
                            • org.eclipse.babel.editor.nls
                              --> Checkout
                          • 10. Re: jboss tools property editor enhancements
                            henk53

We used this plug-in for a couple of years before it was abandoned in 2007. Initially it was a very nice editor, but eventually we had to abandon using it because of several show-stopping bugs.

A particularly nasty one was the one where the editor didn't get to see any changes when you updated your workspace from SVN while some properties file was open. If you then later on checked in your version of the file, it looked like if you just deleted the new stuff that came in with the last update.

When you finally detected that some keys were missing, it was quite a lot of trouble to retrieve them from the history and add them again.