6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 7:21 AM by jacker

How to handle a message queue?

jacker

Hi folks. I'm trying to manipulate a jms queue. I have a MDB listening to, with this configuration:

@ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "maxSession", propertyValue = "1")

Now imagine this scenario:

A client sending a lot of messages:

publisher.send(message1);
           publisher.send(message2);
           publisher.send(message3);
           publisher.send(message4);
           publisher.send(message5);

MDB is processing just one per time:

onMessage(Message message){

System.out.println("Message " + message + " received");

try {
                     Thread.sleep(10000);
                } catch (InterruptedException e) {
                     e.printStackTrace();
                }          

System.out.println("Done!");

}

Now the client need cancel the message3, because it was dispatched wrong. How can I do that without remove all of the queue?

I've tried to delete it from JBM_MSG table, but it continues to being delivered. BTW I'm using JBoss 5.1.0 and default messaging service. Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to handle a message queue?
          wdfink

A simple way to do this is to use a QueueBrowser to check the queue, after you know the correct one you are able to consume it with a message selector for exact this message (e.g. the message id) or the client know the necessary message properties.

• 2. Re: How to handle a message queue?
            jacker

Thanks for your answer Wolf. I'm trying that way but it has no messages in queue. I think it was already buffered, maybe I have to set consumer-window-size to zero, but i dunno where i set this parameter. What do you think?

• 3. Re: How to handle a message queue?
              jacker

Just to complement, i tried to "Remove All Messages" by Admin-Console and JBoss failed to do that. It returns me:

"removeAllMessages java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot remove references while deliveries are in progress (Channel 1), there are 5"

• 4. Re: How to handle a message queue?
                wdfink

I never tried AdminConsole for this.

The application read via QueueBrowser it's own messages display it and the user is able to drop unprocessed messeges.

This is done by a normal consuming with a special message selector.

You never see messages which are in progress by the 'normal' processing

• 5. Re: How to handle a message queue?
                  jacker

I've tried to implement de QueueBrowser but it seems doesn't work. My project example is on this link:

http://www.beholder.com.br/download/rr-jms-ejb3.zip

Thanks.

• 6. Re: How to handle a message queue?
                    jacker

I've found an answer for my question.

It is not possible to handle a message who's being delivered. I've tried to set the consumer window to zero, and a lot of other things. I've been studing a solution for case about a week, googling all possibilities but it cannot be done. Actually I've found the class who operate this channel between producer and consumer, but there a lot of comments sugesting to not alter the code to ensure integrity.

Thanks.