2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 10:49 AM by stephane_

JBoss AS6 logging , how to configure XMLLayout

stephane_

Hi

Migrating from 5.1 to 6.

I am trying to figure out how to configure a log4j appender with XMLLayout with the new logging format

Any pointer or doc would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Stephane

• 1. Re: JBoss AS6 logging , how to configure XMLLayout
          jaikiran

Just a FYI - You don't have to use the jboss-logging.xml file to configure your application's logging. You can always use your own log4j.xml file within your application.

• 2. JBoss AS6 logging , how to configure XMLLayout
            stephane_

After many trial and error I ended up creating a placeholder appender

<periodic-rotating-file-handler

file-name="${jboss.server.log.dir}/server.log.xml"

name="XMLFILE"

autoflush="true"

append="true"

suffix=".yyyy-MM-dd">  <!-- To roll over at the top of each hour, use ".yyyy-MM-dd-HH" instead -->

<level name="OFF"/>

<error-manager>

<only-once/>

</error-manager>

<formatter>

<!-- To revert back to simple stack traces without JAR versions, change "%E" to "%e" below. -->

<!-- Uncomment this to get the class name in the log as well as the category

<pattern-formatter pattern="%d %-5p [%c] %C{1} (%t) %s%E%n"/>

-->

<!-- Uncomment this to log without the class name in the log -->

<pattern-formatter pattern="%d %-5p [%c] (%t) %s%E%n"/>

</formatter>

</periodic-rotating-file-handler>

and then I set the layout programmatically in a bean

java.util.logging.Logger logger = java.util.logging.Logger.getLogger("");

for (Handler h : logger.getHandlers())

{

// h.setFormatter(new XMLFormatter())

if (h instanceof PeriodicRotatingFileHandler

&& ((PeriodicRotatingFileHandler) h).getFile().getName().contains(".xml"))

{

h.setFormatter(new XMLFormatter());

h.setLevel(java.util.logging.Level.ALL);

logger.info("XML Logger initialized");

break;

}

}

It works if I deploy my bean after the server is started , however it seem that otherwise application (my bean included) are deployed before the app server switches away from the boot logger , so the boot logger get the configuration but not the main logger ...

Any way to tell JBoss to switch logging before starting applications ?