1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 5:27 AM by ilya_shaikovsky

autocomplete behavior clarification sought - 4.0.0.M6

healeyb

I read this post (http://community.jboss.org/message/585236#585236) regarding autocomplete

which seemed to suggest that if the autocompleteMethod is returning a List<MyClass> then you

can't store an instance of MyClass in the value=.  Is that a correct interpretation?

Do you have to take the selected text and one way or another convert it to an object instance?

The showcase deals with a rather simplistic case and wasn't any assistance to me on this

particular matter.

I tried all kinds of various combinations of converter, itemConverter, fetchValue etc...  with no

success. I also tried using rich:select but given the inability to delay the server lookup until some

characters are typed in I was getting back 5000 rows, and the performance wasn't good even on

a localhost server (this is test data from a production system).

{code:xml}

<rich:autocomplete id="club"

var="var"

minChars="3"

mode="cachedAjax"

fetchValue="#{var.name}"

converter="MyClassConverter"

layout="list"

value="#{myBean.}"

autocompleteMethod="#{myBean.nameSearch}">

<h:outputText value="#{var.name}"/>

</rich:autocomplete>

{code}

So, I'd be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this, i.e. is this a present limitation? if so is

it planned to be addressed at some point?

Thanks,

Brendan.

• 1. autocomplete behavior clarification sought - 4.0.0.M6
          ilya_shaikovsky

autocomplete is a UIInput. So you have to use converter and convert just text which was entered/suggested to some objec. It will not provide old object selection as it's non-native for input.

select should be used but for now it has no ajax mode implemented. When it will become available - it will become an official solution.