10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 11:45 PM by jaikiran

Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup

amathewjboss1

Hi,

We have a application running on Jboss 5.1 and I was wondering is there a way i can update the Jboss configuration to include a Java class so that it will get picked during the Jboss startup process (similar to bootstrap). Note that my Java class will be calling EJB methods as a part of process. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Anil Mathew

• 1. Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
          welle

You could  implement it in a JBoss lifecycle MBean (use it's startup callbacks). Put in it's own jar file

togheter with a dependecies towards the jars that contains the EJB it will call.

• 2. Re: Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
            welle

Perhaps a simpler way is to use the @Singleton (or @Service in JBoss 5) and the standard callback annotations like @PostConstruct.

• 3. Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
              amathewjboss1

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Yes, @Service along with @PostConstruct should work. But I really can't find the jar which has the @Service annotation. Like i said i am using Jboss 5.1. Does the jar comes with the Jboss 5.1?

Thanks

Anil Mathew

• 4. Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
                jaikiran

@org.jboss.ejb3.annotation.Service comes in jboss-ejb3-ext-api.jar which you can find in JBOSS_HOME/client folder. And by the way, be sure to use our latest EJB3 plugin http://www.jboss.org/ejb3/ejb3plugin.html against JBoss AS 5.1.0 since there have been some @Service related fixes after JBoss AS 5.1.0 was released.

• 5. Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
                  amathewjboss1

Thank You Jaikiran.

I was able to get the jboss-ejb3-ext-api.jar and also I created a class which has @Service and @PostConstruct. As you suggested i also ran the plugin (and I could see it ran correctly - which was really Awesome!). As expected the PostConstruct method is called during the Jboss startup (whowhoo..i was so excited).

But when i updated my @PostConstruct method to call a EJB method to get records, it is failing with the below error:

17:46:27,511 ERROR [ServiceContainer] Encountered an error in start of PropertyRegistryServiceImpl

java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.ejb.EJBTransactionRequiredException: public java.util.Collection com.tixx.persistence.properties.manager.impl.ApplicationPropertyManagerImpl.findAllApplicationProperties()

at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptors.container.AbstractContainer.invokeCallback(AbstractContainer.java:262)

at org.jboss.ejb3.EJBContainer.invokeCallback(EJBContainer.java:1161)

at org.jboss.ejb3.EJBContainer.invokePostConstruct(EJBContainer.java:1170)

at org.jboss.ejb3.service.ServiceContainer.lockedStart(ServiceContainer.java:265)

at org.jboss.ejb3.EJBContainer.start(EJBContainer.java:905)

at org.jboss.ejb3.service.ServiceContainer.start(ServiceContainer.java:846)

It seems like the transaction (EntityManager) is null. I am using EJB3 with Hibernate. Below is my code snippet:

@Service
                  @Remote( { com.tickets.service.properties.PropertyRegistryServiceRemote.class })
                  @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRED)
                  public class PropertyRegistryServiceImpl implements PropertyRegistryServiceRemote{

@EJB
                      EntityManager entityManager;

@PostConstruct
                      public void applicationStartup() {
                       System.out.println("Jboss Properties Initializing!!!!!");
                       try{
                        Collection<ApplicationProperty> props = this.entityManager.findAllApplicationProperties(AppContextHolder.getUserContext());
                       }catch(Throwable e){
                        System.out.println("Jboss Properties Initializing ERROR: "+ e);
                       }
                      }
                  }

Any idea what am i missing here?

• 6. Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
                    alesj
                        @EJB

EntityManager entityManager;

Shouldn't this be @PersistenceContext?

• 7. Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
                      amathewjboss1

Thanks Ales for the reply.

I was stupid and it was a code mix up and entityManager was the issue and i got ALL working yesterday night!!!!

A wrap up of what I did to make it work:

• Created a class with @Service and @Remote annotation.
                      • The class has a method with @PostConstruct annotation and this method will call a EJB (via Hibernate) and get all my records (property name/values) from database.
                      • Make sure to have  jboss-ejb3-ext-api.jar and run the necessary plugin as mentioned by Jaikiran.

Thank You all. I AM IN LOVE WITH JBOSS 5.1

Anil

• 8. Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
                        jaikiran

Good to know it's working!

• 9. Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
                          amathewjboss1

Thank you for the support. I do have a question in regards to the plugin which i ran for the Jboss 5.1.

I was wondering what exactly does it do when i run the plugin? I mean are we adding new jar files to different directory under Jboss home? The reason i asked is i will have to do the same to my QA / Production environment. I am little hesistant to run this directory in production.

Anil Mathew

• 10. Bootstrap custom class during Jboss startup
                            jaikiran

Anil Mathew wrote:

I was wondering what exactly does it do when i run the plugin? I mean are we adding new jar files to different directory under Jboss home?

The plugin replaces some of the JBoss EJB3 implementation jars with new ones containing bug fixes.