4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 2:26 PM by cognescent

Semantic governance

cognescent

Hi,

Really needing help with this. Has anybody ever seen a "Semantic" technology integration into Drools or Guvnor?

What is needed is a governance model exposing it's knowledge in an easy an very interrelated manner, like the one in a connected RDF graph. The knowledge is nothing but the knowledge of the business domain entities (Facts), the business processes and their verbs and rules.

The question is to keep the models in sync, and to leverage the advantages of both worlds. For example, "semantic" model could expose an endpoint of an action or a verb to be referred later in an invocation of a rule action.

Best,
      Sebastián Samaruga.

http://cognescent.blogspot.com

• 1. Semantic governance
          kurtstam

Hi Sebastian,

Can you dig into your example a bit more? When you are talking about 'models' what do you mean exactly, and what type of things do you need to keep in sync? I'm wondering if this is a drools question or a guvnor question.

Cheers,

--Kurt

• 2. Re: Semantic governance
            cognescent

I think what I've meant is better expressed as follows, in this post I've recently

published in a mailing list. Basically, the idea is to find a (semantic) platform

where models of operational and transactional knowledge are available by

governance mechanisms (thats why I've looked Guvnor) and bringing the

ability to build up applications in such a framework like we usually do in

the traditional manner.

>>

Are there any examples / tutorials to build, for example, some application using

a Semantic backend. Are there specific frameworks or patterns. Maybe I'm ignorant

on how to achieve this because of my background with MVC applications with an

ORM and traditional 'out of the box' frameworks.

Think it should be relevant the fact of using a semantic backend instead a

relational one in the way one develop the application. For example, I think,

there should be some kind of "Semantic MVC".

I see lots and lots of features for semantic backends and interoperability. And

some usage scenarios, but few implementation "roadmaps" to take advantage

of all that features.

Maybe I should think about one scenario where, my application semantics,

my business domain for that application semantics, and that application

data are making worth use of all those semantics.

I'm posting my question on a couple of list, including one about rules, just

because I think patterns developed out of rules community could help me

clarify my view, and maybe have similar goals in respect to those of RDF.

Shall someone share with me this existential questions, please let me know

This file is all I could get more or less clear regarding this subject by now:

http://cognescent.googlecode.com/files/architecturalDraft.pdf

Thanks,
            Sebastián

http://www.cognescent.com

• 3. Re: Semantic governance
              cognescent

Hi I've recently received an inquiry regarding this outdated thread,

I would like to update the details of the development in which I'm going to be involved and are mentioned in previous posts.

Given the focus I'm currently turning on my development, It its regarding semantics and rules and modeling, see my googlecode page: http://cognescent.googlecode.com (there is almost just code there by the way) you'll see I'm trying to build an underlying framework for BI (Business Intelligence) platforms. My goals are to be able to receive data from any data source, translate it to triples (as much as I can see, any kind of data source is feasible to be translated into triples: relational, NoSQL, XML, etc). Then, given that input triples, infer as much meta data as possible, for example, infer types/classes without any schema information and then build a meta model with this translate-able model to other output models or endpoints.

The idea of MDAfy is still fascinating. Maybe, I'm not sure, this could work with Drools in this way: My model has a set of predefined entities which represents semantic / semiotic relationship. Having a set of 'predefined' rules in Drools for each kind of entity for which the meta model provides 'executable' instances, for me sounds like some kind of meta programming that could be done. Drools could be the engine and the meta model and input data could be kind of script. I'm really not sure if something like this could be done, I'm just thinking out loud.

Best regards,

Sebastian.

• 4. Re: Semantic governance
                cognescent

After a while, I've came up with this. I face up transformation using RDF as an underlying unifying model of, for example and not limited to: Tabular, XML, JSON, and even OLAP data sources as input. Then, perform an 'ETL' inference in a Loader layer where I can infer types an so and then populate a semantic graph. The idea is the graph is flexible enough to be viewed as any of the APIs mentioned in the document (Tabular, Neo4J, XML, JSON, etc). Any of this APIs are to be implemented in an ad-hoc manner so there is no limit if you need another format. I try to explain the benefits of doing things this way in the document, apologizes and let me know if I'm wrong.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxxuOINjaiBNRER3c3d3NnBaVWs/edit?usp=sharing

Regards,

Sebastian.