3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 3:52 PM by jbalunas

To wait for RF 4 or not to wait

ptr83

Hello!

I have a question a bit different, nothing about a component not working or something like that.

I want to start a new project. But this project is not urgent so I can wait several months to start it without any problem.

And my question is, do I start it now or should I better wait for RF 4.0 and JSF 2 ?

I have some skills in JSF 1.2 and RF 3.x, and some programs I could take from older project... those are the adventages of using the "old" RF.
      On the other hand, if I develop in RF 3 I guess that when RF 4 will be launched, my project will look a bit old even if he has only a few weeks...

So what would you do? Wait for RF 4 or not :)

thanks for your advice

• 1. Re: To wait for RF 4 or not to wait
          ilya_shaikovsky

As you could see from wiki pages with our meetings follow-ups and pages about 4.0 - first 4.0 Alpha release will contains only core a4j components and in general we will works at framework stuff and CDK stuff. And them we will port the rich components stuff into 4.x. So it will takes some time and if your project is has short estimations it seems easier to create it using 3.3.x stuff and then port to 4.x after the 4.x state will be satisfactory according to your requirements.

• 2. Re: To wait for RF 4 or not to wait
            ilya_shaikovsky

but if you will choose to start with the very first versions of JSF 2 and RF 4.x - all your feedback will be greatly appreciated! :)

• 3. Re: To wait for RF 4 or not to wait
              jbalunas

Well said Ilya, and I agree.

It really depends on your requirements in both time and maturity. RichFaces 4.0 will have useful BETA's in several months (not naming a specific month yet), and GA some time after that. 3.3.X is mature and will be going into maintenance mode ( give or take community patches, issues, etc... )