10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 11:55 AM by ohughes

HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5

ohughes

Hi,

I have installed HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on a RedHat server installation, but I am unable to connect to it from the client machine.

I have opened port 5445 within the ipTables and restarted it, but from the client machine, using nmap, the port still seems to be closed.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem, or able to give me some advice on how to look into the problem or why I am getting a connection refused?

Thanks,

Osian

• 1. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
          clebert.suconic

You just need to configure the acceptor and connectors to the right IPs and ports

• 2. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
            ohughes

That is the first thing that was done, and in all other environments it runs without a problem.

Could it be that it has to be running with SSL?  If yes, how is this done through the core api?  any specific settings required for the connection from the client?

• 3. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
              clebert.suconic

I just don't know how I could help you with firewal configuration. All you have to do is open the port (and JNDI port if you require so)

• 4. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
                ohughes

I have opened the port, but it still appears closed from the client, so that is why I am looking to go down the SSL route, incase there is some special configuration on the server which doesn't allow sockets to be opened unless they have a signed certificate.

So basically, I am wondering how the client connection settings look for the core api for this, because the example with the code for SSL is only for JMS.

• 5. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
                  ataylor

Like Clebert says, this has nothing to do with HornetQ, you just have to make sure that the port is open so the client an connect.

• 6. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
                    ohughes

There seems to be some confusion here, I am not asking for assistance with firewalls, but if I use SSL, how do I specify the keystore, etc. on the client side through the core api?  Or is this not required to connect to a trusted connection??

• 7. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
                      ataylor

you said you werent sure if the problem was SSL, maybe you should check that first. sounds a bit strange to me, if you have opened it then its open and a plain connection should be able to connect, maybe its just your configuration is wrong. You will be able to check this by looking at the logs to see if the client actually tried to connect or not

Any how, with the core api you set all settings on the transportConfiguration via params, look at the netty TransportConstants to see what you can set.

• 8. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
                        ohughes

Sorry, crossed wires again, what I meant by the fact that the problem could be to do with SSL, is because of the configuration of the servers and firewalls, etc. on the client site.  So I am attempting to find alternatives to just simply using the standard port.

I have also noticed a http connector as well, so I will also give this a try today!

And I think I've found the params, I take it these are the ones:

TransportConstants.KEYSTORE_PATH_PROP_NAME

TransportConstants.KEYSTORE_PASSWORD_PROP_NAME

Thanks, and sorry again for any confusion on this thread.

• 9. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
                          clebert.suconic

Please take a look at the SSL Example on the distribution. Let us know if you don't understand after doing it.

• 10. HornetQ 2.1.2.Final on RedHat 5.5
                            ohughes

There seems to be a bigger issue, but not sure what.

I now have it configured with http & ssl, but still nothing, the port appears closed, and this is strange, because when I launch tomcat, with exactly the same certificate, it goes through without any problem, and then running something like telnet to that port is also possible.

I have even tried to run hornetq with the port 8443, but still nothing.

I know this is outside the realm of this thread now, but if anyone has any ideas about this, or any things to try, then please let me know.