5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 12:01 PM by peterj

Deploy JBoss remoting in JBOSS appserver

sssd

I am a newbie and if this question has already been asked- Pardon me!

I looked at the JBoss remoting examples and have tried connecting a swing client with the remote server which is working.

Now I want to deploy this to JBoss Appserver - First of all - can we do that? Any examples?

We have a distributed client server application with a swing client calling RMI. We want to investigate and see if we can use JBoss as an application server. Is this possible? Answers will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Deploy JBoss remoting in JBOSS appserver
          wdfink

I dont understand your question ATM.

What you want to do? Do you try to implement the business logic with EJB - JBoss appserver and use the Swing client as GUI?

• 2. Deploy JBoss remoting in JBOSS appserver
            sssd

Hello - Thanks for replying. Right now we have a distributed client-server application. Our server code is RMI and we have a swing client that looks up the services. We are investigating to see if we can deploy this to an application server - JBoss. Apart from this arrangement, we also have web-servvices and use Tomcat for that. If we move to an application server, it will be one-stop and our web-services can also make use of the application server. Having an application server also opens up the possibility of building a complete web application in the future and that's the direction we want to head.

The question is: Can JBoss application server start up the remoting server? How can I deploy the swing client and RMI into JBoss app server.

Thanks fo your time.

• 3. Deploy JBoss remoting in JBOSS appserver
              wdfink

You can't deploy a swing application with a JBoss server, server-applications should not have such GUI components.

A direct RMI application I've never tried and it is not what JBoss is for.

You should have a enterprise application and connect via JNDI (of course using RMI underneath) but this will be hidden from the application.

• 4. Deploy JBoss remoting in JBOSS appserver
                sssd

Alright, maybe I wasn't asking the question correctly. Let's ignore the swing client part.

I have RMI remote objects which I will convert to JBoss Remote objects. Now how do I deploy these into the JBoss application server?

How do I integrate the remote objects into the application server - What are the configuration steps?

Thanks for your time.

Sangeetha

• 5. Deploy JBoss remoting in JBOSS appserver
                  peterj

I recommend that you convert your "remote objects" into EJB3 session beans, and deploy those to JBoss AS. Then your swing client can use JNDI to look up the session beans and interact with them.