4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 8:17 AM by borges

maven and hudson

ataylor

snippet from Francisco's mail

Hi everyone,

A few simple questions about our Hudson build:

- The Hudson build is using Maven 2.0.10. How can we upgrade that?

- Right now we have both Maven (2.2.1) and Ant checked into trunk at ./tools.
         -- Was that the way to control the Maven version on Hudson?
         -- Any reason not to delete (at least) the Ant dist?

- Running the unit tests outputs a lot of "INFO" level noise, is that by design? Or is it a by-product of using maven?

- I understand we have code formatting settings checked in somehow. Where is it? I intend to also get checkstyle to work, and I suspect the file I took from AS7 is not complete.

• 1. maven and hudson
          ataylor
          The Hudson build is using Maven 2.0.10. How can we upgrade that?

we should use the version we ship, via a build.sh/build.bat

Yes but we should update maven to maven 3.

and yes we can delete the ant stuff

- Running the unit tests outputs a lot of "INFO" level noise, is that by design? Or is it a by-product

Bit of both really, servers are started quite a lot so you get that output by default.

- I understand we have code formatting settings checked in somehow. Where is it? I intend to also get

Not sure how eclipse works but i just set intellij up as needed, clebert would know better

• 2. Re: maven and hudson
            jaikiran

Andy Taylor wrote:

- Running the unit tests outputs a lot of "INFO" level noise, is that by design? Or is it a by-product

Bit of both really, servers are started quite a lot so you get that output by default.

That can all be redirected to a file, so that only the summary (which includes the test name, failure count and error count) is displayed on the console. The Maven surefire plugin can be configured with:

<build>

<plugins>
                        <plugin>
                                    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
                                    <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
                                    <configuration>
                                        <redirectTestOutputToFile>true</redirectTestOutputToFile>

• 3. maven and hudson
              borges

Yes but we should update maven to maven 3.

and yes we can delete the ant stuff

There is one backwards compatibility problem with Maven 3.X and the 'site' plugin still unsolved, it affects running the Findbugs plugin.

On my machine with our current pom.xml running 'mvn site' does not work with 3.X. Given the general state of, say, brokeness of our maven build, I prefer to hold off from Maven 3 until we have a better understanding of Maven itself.

• 4. Re: maven and hudson
                borges

Some Hudson & maven updates:

- I discovered that the Hudson from jboss.com does offer us all sorts of maven versions. We just need to run them as Maven targets and select the version. Good.

- I've set up Findbugs to run and get reported.  Good.

- Findbugs is configured to run with version 2.3.2. But on Hudson it runs on version 1.1. Not good.

The cause is:

"""

[DEBUG] Resolved plugin version for org.codehaus.mojo:findbugs-maven-plugin to 1.1-20070227.183646-3 from repository jboss.release (https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public, releases)

"""

If anyone knows how to contact the Hudson admins, I would be glad to hear about it. (yes, I already tried the RedHat internal #jbossqa irc).

[UPDATE] I fixed the version problem above by duplicating some configuration.