1 Reply Latest reply on May 19, 2011 9:04 AM by borges

Separating the journal as another jar

clebert.suconic

Francisco,

I was reflecting about your next task and I believe your time will be better used if you do some design around separating the journal as a different project.

We tried doing that before but we had some issues with the Buffers that are used by HornetQ. (HornetQBuffer)

It would maybe be ok to move the buffers along with the journal, as we always want to avoid copy between the journal and the wire protocol. (The only copy we actually do is to send it to the TimedBuffer). (The issue on copying is not as big as it is on allocating buffers from the tests I have done).

The requirements/needs are: 

- to not add extra copies.

- it would be desirable to not depend on Netty, but so far I don't think it would be possible without adding extra copies.

You will probably get a very good understanding about the journal's code on this task as you will need some refactoring.

You can also move TimedBuffer and other dependencies around this.

You will probably have to create a new branch for this. (You can do the branch on github only if you like, and only merge it at the end.. as long as we can work together.. I mean.. other can look at your changes so we can keep up with discussions).

• 1. Re: Separating the journal as another jar
          borges

You will probably have to create a new branch for this. (You can do the branch on github only if you like, and only merge it at the end.. as long as we can work together.. I mean.. other can look at your changes so we can keep up with discussions).

The CAVEATS section of the git-svn manual are full of so many warnings regarding doing anything fancy with branches and using svn that I will just create a regular SVN branch.