2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 11:37 PM by Igor Stepanov

JBoss base question

Igor Stepanov Newbie

Hi to all!

I just start to learn a JBoss AS, and i can't understand what is JBoss instance look like? How could I create an instance?

I read the document "Installation And Getting Started Guide", but for this moment don't understand how this AS is working!

Maybe I started with wrong way, so, what documents should I read to understand the foundation of JBoss?

Thanks for the attention =)

• 1. Re: JBoss base question
          Peter Johnson Master

Igor, welcome to the JBoss forums!

Which version of JBoss AS do you have? Also what OS are you using?

An "instance" is when you have a JVM running JBoss AS. In other words, when you enter "run" on the command line you are starting an instance. What is actually running is the JVM (there will be a java process running in Task Manager or visible using ps). That JVM will be using JAR file found in jboss_home/lib and jboss_home/common/lib (for 5.0 and later) and jboss_home/server/xxx/lib (4.3 and earlier). The 'xxx' is a sudirectory of server and is often referred to as a configuration with the common configurations being "default" and  "all". The 'default' configuration is what is run if you don't specify a configuration on the command line.

You might try grabbing the free chapter 1 for JBoss in Action (http://www.manning.com.jamae), it will give you and introduction into JBoss AS fundamentals. The book is specific to AS 5.x but with a few minor directory changes also applies to 6.0 and 4.x.

• 2. Re: JBoss base question
            Igor Stepanov Newbie

Peter, thank you very much for reply!

I use the 5.1 version and the WinXP OS.

Now I see what an instance is look like. I hope, I find all answers for found questions =)