2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 1:01 PM by ceefour

JBoss SwitchYard vs Apache ServiceMix vs JBoss IronJacamar

ceefour

Dear SwitchYard developers,

How does JBoss SwitchYard compare to Apache ServiceMix?

Are they direct competitors? They seem to be targeting the same field.

My observations:

• Both are tools for Enterprise Application Integration
      • Both (are supposed to) make it easy to integrate applications simply by deploying connectors and routing/configuration files
      • Both bundle Apache Camel

Second question (sorry..) :

What is the relation between SwitchYard and IronJacamar? While ServiceMix bundles Jencks, a JCA implementation, there seems to be no mention of JCA within SwitchYard.

It seems Camel and JCA are two ways of doing the same thing... which one is recommended (common use case) approach from SwitchYard's perspective?

• 1. Re: JBoss SwitchYard vs Apache ServiceMix vs JBoss IronJacamar
          kcbabo

I think it's fair enough to view SwithYard and ServiceMix as alternatives when choosing an ESB.  You mentioned EAI, which certinaly plays a large role in the functionality of both projects, but there is also much more emphasis on providing a service-oriented view of the applications, resources, and endpoints you are integrating.

IronJacamar will be an important component for us to open up JCA adapters as gateway bindings, so expect to see a JCA component based on IronJacamar soon.  In related news, did you notice that IronJacamar went 1.0 Final last week?  Yay!

I guess you could view Camel components and JCA adapters as two alternatives when it comes to pluggable integration components, but there's a lot more to Camel than just that.  The routing and EIP support from an implementation and expression standpoint are quite nice and complementary to what JCA provides.

• 2. Re: JBoss SwitchYard vs Apache ServiceMix vs JBoss IronJacamar
            ceefour

Thank you Keith!

Congrats on the release of IronJacamar. In fact, that's why I asked about it