3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2011 7:59 AM by jaikiran

JBOSS 7 Full Profile or WEB profile?

jadtn

HI,

I'm actually migrate from AS 5.1 to AS 7  and  I choose between web profile et and full profile.

I'think web profile is the best  for my application because it's a 'simple' web application and I don't need EJB remote call etc ...

But!:

1. I need to schedule newsletters to send (EJB 3.1 Timer)
      2. When a user do login, I need to launch asynchronous work (EJB 3.1 @asynchronous)

Timer and asynchronous aren't in EJB 3.1 Lite (sniff), so do you know  a simple way to schedule job and run asyncronous work in AS 7 Web Profile? (For asynchronous I ve tested an executer in a stateless bean, but it doesn't work).

May be I'have to use full profile?

Thanks for your support

Adrien

• 1. Re: JBOSS 7 Full Profile or WEB profile?
          jaikiran

Adrien Adrien wrote:

1. I need to schedule newsletters to send (EJB 3.1 Timer)
          2. When a user do login, I need to launch asynchronous work (EJB 3.1 @asynchronous)

The just release AS 7.0.2, contains both these features (and more) in the "standalone-preview" configuration of the "Everything" distribution available in the downloads.

May be I'have to use full profile?

Technically yes, for those functionalities you will need full profile. But you don't have to wait for 7.1, since the functionalities that you are looking for are already available in 7.0.2

• 2. Re: JBOSS 7 Full Profile or WEB profile?
            morphy

@Jaikirian is it a best practice to setup a mixed profile adding to the web profile only those "full-profile modules" that the runtime environment needs?

...probably the answer is "no" because jb7 uses lazy-loaded modules...

• 3. Re: JBOSS 7 Full Profile or WEB profile?
              jaikiran

Riccardo Pasquini wrote:

@Jaikirian is it a best practice to setup a mixed profile adding to the web profile only those "full-profile modules" that the runtime environment needs?

It depends on the application server and how easy it is to do that. From AS7 point of view, you could actually start with a full profile configuration and start trimming down subsystems which you won't be using.