0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 9:45 AM by a_schulle

How to open JMX ports for all servers in AS7 domain mode

a_schulle

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a domain configuration with AS7. I'm setting up a domain controller on one host and a host controller running two servers on another host. I only changed some minor properties of the default domain configuration.

The domain is running. I can access the console webapp and see the servers. I can deploy an application and so far everything is fine.

Now I'm doing load tests and I want to see the impact on the two servers. Because the monitoring functions in console webapp are very basic I would like to monitor the two servers (started and controlled by the host controller) by jmx with jconsole and later perhaps with nagios.

I'm locking for a way to tell the servers to enable JMX but I can't find out how.

This is my host.xml:

<host xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:1.1"

name="domain1">

<management>

<security-realms>

<security-realm name="PropertiesMgmtSecurityRealm">

<authentication>

<properties path="mgmt-users.properties" relative-to="jboss.domain.config.dir"/>

</authentication>

</security-realm>

</security-realms>

<management-interfaces>

<native-interface interface="management" port="1999"/>

</management-interfaces>

</management>

<domain-controller>

<remote host="192.168.213.129" port="9999"/>

</domain-controller>

<interfaces>

<interface name="management">

<inet-address value="${jboss.bind.address.management:192.168.213.129}"/>

</interface>

<interface name="public">

<inet-address value="${jboss.bind.address:192.168.213.129}"/>

</interface>

</interfaces>

<jvms>

<jvm name="default">

<heap size="64m" max-size="128m"/>

<jvm-options>

<option value="-Djava.awt.headless=true"/>

</jvm-options>

</jvm>

</jvms>

<servers>

<server name="server-one" group="main-server-group">

<!-- server-one inherits the default socket-group declared in the server-group -->

<jvm name="default">

<jvm-options>

<!-- Try to fix LogManager problems when using jmx -->

<option value="-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.jboss.logmanager.LogManager"/>

<option value="-Dorg.jboss.logging.Logger.pluginClass=org.jboss.logging.logmanager.LoggerPluginImpl"/>

<option value="-Djboss.boot.server.log.dir=/opt/jboss_HC/domain/log"/>

<!-- JMX options -->

<option value="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote"/>

<option value="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9991"/>

<option value="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false"/>

<option value="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false"/>

</jvm-options>

</jvm>

</server>

<server name="server-two" group="main-server-group" auto-start="true">

<!-- server-two avoids port conflicts by incrementing the ports in

the default socket-group declared in the server-group -->

<socket-binding-group ref="standard-sockets" port-offset="150"/>

<jvm name="default">

<heap size="64m" max-size="256m"/>

</jvm>

</server>

<server name="server-three" group="other-server-group" auto-start="false">

<!-- server-three avoids port conflicts by incrementing the ports in

the default socket-group declared in the server-group -->

<socket-binding-group ref="ha-sockets" port-offset="250"/>

</server>

</servers>

</host>

I tried to enable JMX by setting vm-props in the server configuration section. This throws errors with the LogMananager inititialization at startup of the server. I found several posting about LogManager problems when enabling JMX in JBoss 6 but no solution.

Is there a way to enable JMX for all servers (not only the host/domain controller prozess)? If not, what would be the prefered way to get this informations (memory, threads, load, session count...) in a way that monitoring tools like nagios can use them?

PS: JMX in standalone mode is no problem.

Thank you in advance.

Alex