2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 12:16 PM by kjh21

JBoss 6 integration with remote JMS Provider

kjh21

I am moving from JBoss AS 4.0.5 to 6 and, in the process, migrating from the old JBossMQ JMS Provider to the new HornetQ Provider.

All the producers and consumers that previously used JBossMQ now work fine on HornetQ; however, I also have a need to

configure a MDB that interacts with a remote Joram JMS Provider (Version 5.0.6).

I was able to get that working JBoss 4.0.5 in accordance with the following instructions

http://joram.ow2.org/current/doc/Joram-JBoss-en.pdf

https://wiki.ow2.org/joram/Wiki.jsp?page=JoramJCAJBoss

It required an appropriately specified jms provider configuration in JBoss 4.0.5

joram-jms-ds.xml

which defined an org.jboss.jms.jndi.JMSProviderLoader mbean that points to the remote Joram JNDI service and

also identified the XA connections to be used in XA transactions.  In that case, I was using JBoss 4.0.5's generic JMS JCA Resource Adapter (jms-ra.rar) to to manage the connections and not Joram's JCA connector.

It was also necessary to add the following annotation to my MDB.

@ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "providerAdapterJNDI", propertyValue = "java:/JoramJMSProvider")

I did not explicity add the @ResourceAdapter annotation to my MDB since JBoss 4.0.5 used jms-ra.rar by default.

With the move to HornetQ in JBoss AS 6, jms-ra.rar now seems to be a HornetQ specific Resource Adapter.

As a first attempt, I deployed the old JBoss 4.0.5 generic JMS Resource Adapter in JBoss 6 as jms-ra-old.rar and modified the <tx-transactions> section of joram-jms-ds.xml accordingly.

In the case, the MDB deployed without error but no messages were dispatched from Joram to my MDB.  In fact, I saw no network traffic at all even during deployment when I expected JBoss to reach out to the Joram JNDI service during the deployment of the MDB.

I then tried deploying Joram's 5.0.7 remote JCA connector in JBoss 6 and reconfigured the MDB's @ResourceAdapter annontation and joram-jms-ds.xml's <tx-connection-factory> accordingly.

In that case, JBoss 6 just hangs when trying to deploy the Joram resource adapter.

I suspect that has something to do with incompatibilites between the newer JBoss platform and the older Joram platform.

Are there any updated instructions about JBoss integration with a remote JMS Provider that document how to configure a JBoss 6 hosted MDB to act as a consumer to a remote JMS Provider?

Is it necessary for the JMS Provider to supply the appropriate JCA connector or is there something provided in JBoss 6 comparable to the previous generic jms-ra.rar?

Kevin H.