2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 12:16 PM by kjh21

JBoss 6 integration with remote JMS Provider

kjh21 Newbie

I am moving from JBoss AS 4.0.5 to 6 and, in the process, migrating from the old JBossMQ JMS Provider to the new HornetQ Provider.

All the producers and consumers that previously used JBossMQ now work fine on HornetQ; however, I also have a need to

configure a MDB that interacts with a remote Joram JMS Provider (Version 5.0.6).

I was able to get that working JBoss 4.0.5 in accordance with the following instructions

It required an appropriately specified jms provider configuration in JBoss 4.0.5

which defined an org.jboss.jms.jndi.JMSProviderLoader mbean that points to the remote Joram JNDI service and

also identified the XA connections to be used in XA transactions.  In that case, I was using JBoss 4.0.5's generic JMS JCA Resource Adapter (jms-ra.rar) to to manage the connections and not Joram's JCA connector.

It was also necessary to add the following annotation to my MDB.

@ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "providerAdapterJNDI", propertyValue = "java:/JoramJMSProvider")

I did not explicity add the @ResourceAdapter annotation to my MDB since JBoss 4.0.5 used jms-ra.rar by default.

With the move to HornetQ in JBoss AS 6, jms-ra.rar now seems to be a HornetQ specific Resource Adapter.

As a first attempt, I deployed the old JBoss 4.0.5 generic JMS Resource Adapter in JBoss 6 as jms-ra-old.rar and modified the <tx-transactions> section of joram-jms-ds.xml accordingly.

In the case, the MDB deployed without error but no messages were dispatched from Joram to my MDB.  In fact, I saw no network traffic at all even during deployment when I expected JBoss to reach out to the Joram JNDI service during the deployment of the MDB.

I then tried deploying Joram's 5.0.7 remote JCA connector in JBoss 6 and reconfigured the MDB's @ResourceAdapter annontation and joram-jms-ds.xml's <tx-connection-factory> accordingly.

In that case, JBoss 6 just hangs when trying to deploy the Joram resource adapter.

I suspect that has something to do with incompatibilites between the newer JBoss platform and the older Joram platform.

Are there any updated instructions about JBoss integration with a remote JMS Provider that document how to configure a JBoss 6 hosted MDB to act as a consumer to a remote JMS Provider?

Is it necessary for the JMS Provider to supply the appropriate JCA connector or is there something provided in JBoss 6 comparable to the previous generic jms-ra.rar?

Kevin H.