6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2011 9:07 AM by ryanyoder

IE7 & 8 Poor Performance with dataTable

mpgong

Hello,

Has anyone noticed that IE 7 and 8 and possibly all versions, takes a bit of time to render dataTables even if the data is not that large.  I noticed that to view the showcase in IE it takes a good few seconds longer.  On my own page i noticed it take much longer to render even if i have 2 rows.

Is this an issue with IE or could it be the what i want in the table (ie data and components)?  Anyone know of good practices or fix to help improve IE performance?

Thanks

• 1. Re: IE7 & 8 Poor Performance with dataTable
          bleathem

Are you saying the reder performance is low in IE, but fine in other browsers?  What other browsers have you tried?

• 2. Re: IE7 & 8 Poor Performance with dataTable
            mpgong

Well, i don't have exact data but from just observing it looks slower than in FF.  I've only tested with those two browsers.

The showcase for the datatable when switching the tab to the different demos, it appears a bit slower in IE.

In my own app, i've noticed significant slow down, but i need to dig in further to see if it is an issue with rendering, my bean, database, etc...

I was just inquiring if there might have been an issue with IE and dataTables or tables in general.

Thanks

• 3. Re: IE7 & 8 Poor Performance with dataTable
              bleathem

I'm not aware of any such issues.  Please post back with any details that you find.

Brian

• 4. Re: IE7 & 8 Poor Performance with dataTable
                mpgong

It looks like the performance issue might be coming from using rich:calendar for too many of my columns.  I have 4 columns where the user can enter dates.  When i took this out things load a lot quicker, not as fast as FF, but much better than before. 

• 5. Re: IE7 & 8 Poor Performance with dataTable
                  bleathem

Interesting observation re: the calendar component.

Have you tried an approach where you only activate one row at a time for editing?  If the other rows are all plain text, and you only edit one row at a time with rich inputs, it may perform better.

• 6. Re: IE7 & 8 Poor Performance with dataTable
                    ryanyoder

You can't use the Rich:calendar in a datatable due to the horrible performance.

The Rich:calendar is so verbose that IE slows down really badly when there are multiple on the page.

I use jQuery calendar and h:inputText which works much better.

Most richfaces components produce way too much markup to be used in any repeater like a datatable.  This goes for popups and tooltips and calendars.