5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 9:21 AM by syncmaster2009

mod_cluster node names

syncmaster2009

I'll start several threads, each one with the issues/doubts that I have, so please bear with me

After deploying the httpd balancer and the mod_proxy.sar application, I can sucessufully see my nodes on the mod_cluster-manager page.

The issue is that the node names are uuid's and not something more human like node1 or node2.

When starting the JBoss 5.1 AS I've passed the switchs -Djboss.jvmRoute="Node1" for the first node and -Djboss.jvmRoute="Node1" for the second, and I can see during the startup the at least it has been read/configured.

I've seen screenshots that show node names like jvm1 and jvm2, so it seems it's possible to set these names.

Any idea how?

I'm using the latest httpd version of mod_cluster, I belive it's 1.1.3.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: mod_cluster node names
          syncmaster2009

I'll try to answer my own question...

I was following this forum tutorial related to multiple virtual hosts, and it seems that the correct option to set the node name is -Djboss.mod_cluster.jvmRoute and not -Djboss.jvmRoute.

At least on Linux it works that way.

My initial problem was on Windows, and I'll have to check if the same solution applies.

• 2. Re: mod_cluster node names
            rhusar

Hi Joao,

there is no mention of jvmRoute in mod_cluster-jboss-beans.xml. I dont know about other mapping without being mentioned in the xml. This is because its defined in the JBoss Web's (Tomcat) server.xml. You need to look for attribute jvmRoute="<route>" on that AJP connector. Since its in JBoss you can use expressions (you wouldnt be able to do that in raw Tomcat AFAIR).

<!-- A HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
              <Connector protocol="HTTP/1.1" port="8080" address="${jboss.bind.address}"
                       connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443" />

So in order for the switch to work, add attribute:

jvmRoute="${jboss.mod_cluster.jvmRoute:defaultRoute}"

HTH,

Rado

• 3. Re: mod_cluster node names
              syncmaster2009

Hi, thanks for the information, but in fact I can confirm the behavior...

If I go to the mod_cluster manager page, if using the -Djboss.jvmRoute, I have a UUID as the node name.

If using -Djboss.mod_cluster.jvmRoute=mynodename, it does set the node name as mynodename and it does appear as so in the mod_cluster status page.

But using -Djboss.modcluster.jvmRoute I get an UUID again...

Now, why the it behaves as so, I don't know. I've dowloaded the latest release available, 1.1.3, and I can confirm it behaves as so in Linux and Windows.

• 4. Re: mod_cluster node names
                rhusar

Do you think its an issue or just documentation needs updating or so?

• 5. Re: mod_cluster node names
                  syncmaster2009

I belive it's a documentation issue. Documentation is wrong, it should have the -Djboss.mod_cluster.jvmRoute switch.