3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 12:06 PM by clebert.suconic

SOS !! Wierd Exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Packet hasn't been encoded/decoded yet

ybhate

I am getting this exception when i try to send contents of a file as a response to a JMS message. I am using a request-response pattern. A server application initates a request via a JMS message and the other server application listens to this message and synchronously responds with contents from some file. I am using BytesMessage to send the contents of the file. I am using the steps provided in the LargeMessageExample.java file.

Here is the exception trace that i get.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Packet hasn't been encoded/decoded yet

at org.hornetq.core.protocol.core.impl.PacketImpl.getPacketSize(PacketImpl.java:256)

at org.hornetq.core.client.impl.LargeMessageControllerImpl.setOutputStream(LargeMessageC

at org.hornetq.core.client.impl.LargeMessageControllerImpl.saveBuffer(LargeMessageContro

at org.hornetq.core.client.impl.ClientLargeMessageImpl.saveToOutputStream(ClientLargeMes

at org.hornetq.jms.client.HornetQMessage.saveToOutputStream(HornetQMessage.java:942)

at org.hornetq.jms.client.HornetQMessage.setObjectProperty(HornetQMessage.java:821)

What does this mean. Is there anyway this can be avoided.

-Thanks

• 1. Re: SOS !! Wierd Exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Packet hasn't been encoded/decoded yet
          clebert.suconic

What version are you using?

Look at the LargeMessage Example

Post some code showing what you are doing.

• 2. Re: SOS !! Wierd Exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Packet hasn't been encoded/decoded yet
            ybhate

I am using Hornetq-2.2.5

Providing you some portion of the code. Note that this portion of the code fails only when i get the fileData as part of a response to a JMS request message.

So this is the flow  - only during this flow the code fails and throws exception. Note that all other types of messages are recieved without any problem in the request-respone pattern shown below. The problem is only in the file data transfer.

Server 1 ----- sends JMS message to ----> server 2

Server 2 -----> reads a file ---> put the contents of the file into bytes message as shown below --> responds to the message by setting correlationId-->send the message -----> Server 1

Server 2 --> tried to read the data and put it into a disk file --> throws exception

the following code is used to put the file data into the BytesMessage

==================================================

//assume that somewhere in my code above i am getting the file data in the bufferedInputStream.

BytesMessage bytesMessage = session.createBytesMessage();

bytesMessage.setObjectProperty("JMS_HQ_InputStream", bufferedInputStream

);

bytesMessage.setObjectProperty("ODPAYLOAD", payloadXml);

messageId = bytesMessage.getJMSMessageID();

m = bytesMessage;

if(properties != null && properties.size() >0)

msg_payloadUtil.addProperties(m, properties);

m.setJMSCorrelationID(correlationId);

the following code is used to read the data from the bytesMessage. And this is where it throws exception

===========================================================================

private BufferedInputStream getFileData(BytesMessage byteMsg,String fileName)

{

BufferedInputStream bufferedInputStream =

null;

Calendar calendar = Calendar.getInstance();

String filePath= PropertiesUtil.getProperty(

"file.store.path").toString();

StringBuilder appendFileExt =

if(fileName!=null)

appendFileExt.append(filePath).append(calendar.getTimeInMillis()).append(

"-").append(fileName);

else

appendFileExt.append(filePath).append(calendar.getTimeInMillis());

if(logger.isDebugEnabled())logger.debug("Storing file into temporary area. File name is " + appendFileExt);

try{

File outputFile =

new File(appendFileExt.toString());

FileOutputStream fileOutputStream =

new FileOutputStream(outputFile);

BufferedOutputStream bufferedOutput =

new BufferedOutputStream(fileOutputStream);

if(logger.isDebugEnabled())logger.debug("Size of file data = " + byteMsg.getLongProperty("_HQ_LARGE_SIZE"));

long startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();

byteMsg.setObjectProperty(

"JMS_HQ_SaveStream", bufferedOutput); // This is where it throws exception given in my discussion

long endTime = System.currentTimeMillis();

if(logger.isDebugEnabled())logger.debug("Time to write to buffer:->"+(endTime-startTime));

bufferedInputStream =

new BufferedInputStream(new FileInputStream(outputFile));

}

catch(Exception e){

e.printStackTrace();

}

return bufferedInputStream;

}

new StringBuilder();

==================================================

• 3. Re: SOS !! Wierd Exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Packet hasn't been encoded/decoded yet
              clebert.suconic

Did you move to a different message on the caller of getFileData ?

it should always be the current message being received.

You can probably create a sample showing your issue. (use attachments through advanced editor here).