5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 10:59 PM by Andrew Hughes

Generic Typed Injection by Class at Runtime, how?

Andrew Hughes Newbie

Easiest if I exaplain this with a simple example:

public class MyPlace implements Place { ...}

public interface PlaceTokenizer<T extends Place> { .... }

public class MyPlaceTokenizer implements PlaceTokenizer<MyPlace> { ...}

and I want to use CDI to obtain an instance of PlaceTokenizer<T extends Place> from a given place....

PlaceTokenizer<T extends Place> getPlaceTokenizer(T thePlace) {
          //HOW can I use CDI to obtain PlaceTokenizer<T extends Place> for 'thePlace'?
      }

Thanks in advance :)
      --AH

• 2. Re: Generic Typed Injection by Class at Runtime, how?
          Ales Justin Master

@Inject Instance<PlaceTokenizer> tokenizers;

PlaceTokenizer<MyPlace> = tokenizers.select(new TypeLiteral<MyPlace>{}).get();

• 3. Re: Generic Typed Injection by Class at Runtime, how?
            Andrew Hughes Newbie

Hi Ales,

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately, I don't think your advice will resolve my problem, because the TypeLiteral annonymous class requires MyPlace and not thePlace.getClass(). Effectively, this still leaves me with only a 'compile time' solution.... and I can solve that with @Inject MyPlaceTokenizer<MyPlace>... erasure shows its head again :'( The only solution I can find at the moment is to associate MyPlace to MyPlaceTokenizer via a @PlaceQualifier(name="MyPlace") qualifier. If I want to secure this any more, I will need to write a CDI extension to scan for each of the Bean Types, and see that there is a 1:1 binding/association.

headache++;

Ales Justin wrote on Nov 09, 2011 09:47:

@Inject Instance<PlaceTokenizer> tokenizers;

PlaceTokenizer<MyPlace> = tokenizers.select(new TypeLiteral<MyPlace>{}).get();

Click HELP for text formatting instructions. Then edit this text and check the preview.

I have two vague ideas floating in my head (and I doubt either will work cleanly):
            1. Qualifiers : The problem here is that if I re-use a common qualifier @PlaceQualifier on all Place objects, then

• 4. Re: Generic Typed Injection by Class at Runtime, how?
              Andrew Hughes Newbie

whoops, I half deleted what I was going to write at the end... I might as well say it now...

I have two vague ideas floating in my head (and I doubt either will work cleanly): 1. Qualifiers : The problem here is that if I re-use a common qualifier @PlaceQualifier on all Place objects, then...

Continued...

Qualifiers don't help me at compile time. I can't strictly type/bind to MyPlace/MyPlaceTokenizer using qualifiers, because there is nothing from binding YourPlace / MyPlace...

@PlaceQualifier(placeClass=MyPlace.class)
              public class YourPlaceTokenizer implements PlaceTokenizer<YourPlace> { ... }

So... tokenizers.select(new PlaceQualifierLiteral(instanceOfMyPlace.getClass())); will return a PlaceTokenizer<YourPlace> and not PlaceTokenizer<MyPlace> This leads to other issues of course :'(

Other vague idea I had was to try and register the beans with a custom CDI extension. But this is little merit as erasure will again prevent the extension from determining the type of generic arguments at runtime.

Either way
              headache++;

• 5. Re: Generic Typed Injection by Class at Runtime, how?
                Andrew Hughes Newbie

This is the best I can come up with....

Create a Qualifier (binding by Place class)

@Qualifier
                @Target({ METHOD, FIELD, PARAMETER, TYPE })
                @Retention(RUNTIME)
                public @interface PlaceTyped {
                     Class<? extends Place> value();
                }

Create a Literal for the Qualifier

This is used to obtain a PlaceTyped (Qualifier) at runtime for programmatic lookup.

public class PlaceTypedLiteral extends AnnotationLiteral<PlaceTyped> implements
                          PlaceTyped {
                     private final Class<? extends Place> value;

public Class<? extends Place> value() {
                          return value;
                     }

public PlaceTypedLiteral(Class<? extends Place> value) {
                          this.value = value;
                     }
                }

Example Bean Definition

@PlaceTyped(MyPlace.class)

Programmatic Lookup of PlaceTokenizer for a given Place object (via .class)

@Inject
                @Any
                Instance<PlaceTokenizer<Place>> allPlaceTokenizers;
                //if place is instance of MyPlace the following should get MyPlaceTokenizer...
                allPlaceTokenizers.select(new PlaceTypedLiteral(place.getClass())).get();

The Good and Bad

This is easy (good), but its not type safe (bad)... I could very well have mixed Your and My place in the annotation and generic type, which would no doubt be a bug...

@PlaceTyped(YourPlace.class)