5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2008 7:14 PM by pisce.gabriel.goic.gmail.com

jdniPattern exception in TestNG tests

benmoore

Hi,

I wrote my first, simple TestNG test, extending SeamTest just like the examples. The test itself is empty and does nothing. When I run it, I get the following exception:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: You must specify org.jboss.seam.core.init.jndiPattern or use @JndiName: userSearch
           at org.jboss.seam.Component.getJndiName(Component.java:438)
           at org.jboss.seam.Component.<init>(Component.java:243)
           at org.jboss.seam.Component.<init>(Component.java:217)
           at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.addComponent(Initialization.java:961)
           ... 27 more
      ... Removed 22 stack frames

Is this a classpath issue? I've added all sorts of jars to the classpath but still get the exception.

Environment: IBM RAD 6.1.

Thanks in advance for any help,
      Bill

• 1. Re: jdniPattern exception in TestNG tests
          benmoore

Anyone? I don't even know where to begin looking...

• 2. Re: jdniPattern exception in TestNG tests
            dazz_x

Hi,

I write here to know if you've found a solution to your problem, because I'm facing the same right now...

FAILED CONFIGURATION: @BeforeClass init
            java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not create Component: myComponent
                    at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.addComponent(Initialization.java:976)
                    at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.installComponents(Initialization.java:898)
                    at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.init(Initialization.java:576)
                    at org.jboss.seam.mock.BaseSeamTest.startSeam(BaseSeamTest.java:939)
                    at org.jboss.seam.mock.BaseSeamTest.init(BaseSeamTest.java:923)
                    at org.jboss.seam.mock.SeamTest.init(SeamTest.java:42)
            Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: You must specify org.jboss.seam.core.init.jndiPattern or use @JndiName: myComponent
                    at org.jboss.seam.Component.getJndiName(Component.java:438)
                    at org.jboss.seam.Component.<init>(Component.java:243)
                    at org.jboss.seam.Component.<init>(Component.java:217)
                    at org.jboss.seam.init.Initialization.addComponent(Initialization.java:961)
                    ... 27 more
            ... Removed 22 stack frames

My components.xml for tests uses this jndi pattern

#{ejbName}/local

My classpath uses :
            jboss-embedded-all.jar
            hibernate-all.jar
            thirdparty-all.jar
            testng.jar
            bootstrap (a folder that I picked from Seam and imported without any modification... I would be glad to know if tests could work without this one)

Any clue to make this work ?
            Does someone know a resource that explain exactly how the Seam tests work with testng ?

Thanks

Dazzx

PS : I tried to create a project with seam-gen to see tests working, but It didn't work...

• 3. Re: jdniPattern exception in TestNG tests
              benmoore

No, I haven't gotten it working. Instead, I thought I'd try to get out-of-the-box TestNG tests (from seam-gen) working with JBoss. I can't even get those to work, although the error is slightly different. See my new post here.

• 4. Re: jdniPattern exception in TestNG tests
                akakunin.akakunin.emdev.ru

I had same issues - finally it was resolved by adding web-root folder into test-run class-path (how to do it - depends from IDE you are using - I used NetBeans and JUnit4 to run tests)

Since web-root is not added into class-path, test runner cannot find WEB-INF/components.xml during Seam initialization - and used default settings

• 5. Re: jdniPattern exception in TestNG tests
                  pisce.gabriel.goic.gmail.com
                  Same here... if you're testing a project that is a dependency and has no descriptors, just make sure your test-build/META-INF directory (assuming you're building in a seam-gen-friendly way) does contain components.xml (and persistence.xml if you're also testing DB access). In components.xml make sure you have the following:

`<core:init debug="true" jndi-pattern="#{ejbName}/local"/>`

There is no ear named in this jndi pattern as you're outside any ear.

An alternative consists in putting this into your seam.properties:

org.jboss.seam.core.init.jndiPattern = #{ejbName}/local

Anyway, you need this bootstrap directory in your test classpath if you want any advanced feature while testing. For example, this is where you deploy your datasource descriptor (bootstrap/deploy).