7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2008 12:10 AM by shane.bryzak

Roles and Permissions

dro_k

Hi Everyone,

For security, I would like to implement sort of an ACL with Seam. Basically I would like to have a Role (a collection of permissions) and assign that to a User. For example I can have permissions ViewOrders and EditOrders and assign them to Role CustomerService and then assign CustomerService role to some user in customer service department.

Looking into Seam's Identity, I could see there's Identity.instance().addRole(String role), (for RBAC, role based access control) but there's no such thing as Identity.instance().addPermission(String permission).

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Roles and Permissions
          yuriy_zubarev

If you look at Identity source you would see it has a very rudimentary implementation for roles and permissions. For example:

public boolean hasPermission(String name, String action, Object...arg)
          {      
            return !securityEnabled;
          }

You are supposed to extend this class with your own implementation if you need more sophisticated handling of roles and permissions.

Regards,
          Yuriy

• 2. Re: Roles and Permissions
            dro_k

Thanks for your reply Yuriy.

Yea, I looked at the code and kind of thought that I need to implement my own, anyhow, do you know how I should extend the Identity and have Seam recognize the new Identity implementation?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Roles and Permissions
              yuriy_zubarev

Sure, it's :

@Name("org.jboss.seam.security.identity")
              @Scope(SESSION)
              @Install(precedence = APPLICATION)
              @BypassInterceptors
              @Startup
              public class MyIdentity extends Identity {
              }

Regards,
              Yuriy

• 4. Re: Roles and Permissions
                shane.bryzak

I'm currently working on a major restructuring of Seam's security API, including a number of new ways of resolving permission checks.  These include ACL (instance-based) security, dynamic role->permission mappings and of course we still support rule-based permissions.  Unless you're in a hurry you may like to wait and see if these new features will solve your security requirements.

• 5. Re: Roles and Permissions
                  dro_k

Thanks! It's not urgent. My time frame is a month. Do you have a JIRA for this activity so I can follow-up on it?

• 6. Re: Roles and Permissions
                    dro_k

Thanks Yuiry. I was also able to find this page, which is extending Identity to support NTLM authentication. Pretty cool.

• 7. Re: Roles and Permissions
                      shane.bryzak

Sure thing.

JBSEAM-2769