8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2008 6:50 AM by alrubinger

JBossAS Changes to Enable Embedded

alrubinger

@see http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=145261

I'm starting with some work within AS itself to remove all notions that a standalone process or filesystem access is required.

The general direction I'm taking is that components like a startup/bootstrap of the environment should be generic and extensible, with AS providing its own hooks while Embedded AS and EJB 3.1 Embeddable may do the same.

This is a separate implementation from the "embedded" module of AS, though the aims are congruent.

Existing facilities such as runtime building of virtual JARs for deployment, etc, will be later analysed and likely pushed over to VFS or an extension thereof.

S,
      ALR

• 1. Re: JBossAS Changes to Enable Embedded
          dimitris

Do you have a sense of time necessary for this type of refactorings? Making our bootstrap more plugable/resuable certainly makes sense, but we have to consider we are 2 weeks away from the final code freeze.

• 2. Re: JBossAS Changes to Enable Embedded
            alrubinger

"dimitris@jboss.org" wrote:
            Do you have a sense of time necessary for this type of refactorings?

My M.O. is if the following criteria hold:

* End-user view does not change
            * TestSuites do not regress

...then I can make any changes necessary up to GA freeze (resuming after release). :) If anything goes wrong, we revert.

That said, component upgrades time is over, so if you want to hold off on moving "bootstrap" module out of AS until after GA is tagged, that's OK. The sooner this is done, the sooner EJB3 may use it for Embeddable EJB 3.1.

The JIRAs I mention in the linked Thread can be done before code freeze (as I've already done the bulky work, reordering the dependencies).

S,
            ALR

• 3. Re: JBossAS Changes to Enable Embedded
              alrubinger

Regarding "moving 'bootstrap'" from AS, I'll probably copy it to the new location, then we can decide whether to use the old module or new component. Then we can use it in EJB3 sooner, and AS can decide when it wants to make the switch (using a patch I'll supply).

S,
              ALR

• 4. Re: JBossAS Changes to Enable Embedded
                dimitris

"ALRubinger" wrote:
                Regarding "moving 'bootstrap'" from AS, I'll probably copy it to the new location, then we can decide whether to use the old module or new component. Then we can use it in EJB3 sooner, and AS can decide when it wants to make the switch (using a patch I'll supply).

That's much safer, I agree.

Oh, and to hijack the thread a bit, aren't we done with jboss-aspect changes? ;)

• 5. Re: JBossAS Changes to Enable Embedded
                  alrubinger

"dimitris@jboss.org" wrote:
                  Oh, and to hijack the thread a bit, aren't we done with jboss-aspect changes? ;)

Ah yes. They haven't changed (to my knowledge).

So I suppose it's time to promote CRs to GAs. :D

S,
                  ALR

• 6. Re: JBossAS Changes to Enable Embedded
                    dimitris

The tck started complaining about the moved classes:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jboss/system/server/Server
                    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
                    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
                    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
                    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
                    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)

• 7. Re: JBossAS Changes to Enable Embedded
                      alrubinger

Thanks, I'll have a look.

If you can mail me off-list specifically what's failing, that'll help. :)

S,
                      ALR

• 8. Re: JBossAS Changes to Enable Embedded
                        alrubinger

Perhaps you're referring to:

++ ./shutdown.sh -s jnp://localhost:1099 --shutdown
                        Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jboss/system/server/Server

...which is addressed and resolved by:

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-6174

S,
                        ALR