2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2008 11:33 PM by Razvan Dragut

Using Ivy to resolve Seam dependencies from JBoss Maven

Kahli Burke Newbie

Hi,

I've been trying to utilize Apache Ivy to track external libraries including those provided by Seam.  I'm not a huge fan of Maven, I guess I haven't wrapped my head around its model, but I like the idea of not checking specific versions of libraries into subversion.

So I started experimenting with accessing the JBoss Maven repo.  I was able to access the Seam library, but I quickly ran into an error that I believe is related to the POM for Seam.  If I look at the Seam POM, the packaging is listed as:

<packaging>ejb</packaging>

Again, I'm not too familiar with how to set up POM files, but I believe this makes Ivy look for something ending in '.ejb', and I run into an error when resolving the dependencies:

[ivy:retrieve] :: problems summary ::
      [ivy:retrieve] :::: WARNINGS
      [ivy:retrieve]           [NOT FOUND  ] org.jboss.seam#jboss-seam;2.0.2.CR1!jboss-seam.ejb (87ms)
      [ivy:retrieve]      ==== default-chain-jboss-maven: tried
      [ivy:retrieve]        http://repository.jboss.com/maven2/org/jboss/seam/jboss-seam/2.0.2.CR1/jboss-seam-2.0.2.CR1.ejb

I looked around for some way to configure Ivy to workaround this problem but I couldn't find anything.

Is there any interest in utilizing Ivy within the Seam team?  Pete, I noticed a post you made regarding Ivy and Maven and noting that you liked the dependency tracking but not the build system, so I thought you might have done some work on the POMs.  Is there a reason why the packaging is specified the way it is?  Is it simply a mistake?  Is it really a problem with Ivy, not the POM? I think for now if I want to use Ivy I'll need to set up a local repository and change the packaging to 'jar'.

Thanks for any insight,

Kahli Burke