5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2008 3:04 PM by beligum.b.beligum.org

Anyone notice any JBPM problems with not releasing connection pools?

jnusaira

I upgraded to JBoss Seam 2.0.1 oh probably 2 months ago. Well the one part of our application that uses jBPM for nightly processing hasn't been tested till last week.

Well we are noticing since we upgraded, it appears the jBPM processes are not releasing connections.

I don;t have the code in front of me but i know we are defining the transactions call in the components.xml. We are using a datasource that points to the same database as our regular calls.

IF anyone has any quick ideas i'd love to hear it. If not i can post more detailed information on monday if need be.Right now my co-developer wants to back out the changes, which unfortunately i dont have the band width at work to really help that much to look into the issue.

• 1. Re: Anyone notice any JBPM problems with not releasing connection pools?
          jnusaira

FWIW ... i recreated the problem with a smaller project.

Basically our architecture has messages going to a queue.

The MDB picks them up and sends them to a jBPM for processing.

So something like this

MDB

public void onMessage(Message message) {

try {
              // run
              if (message instanceof ObjectMessage) {
               String name = ((ObjectMessage) message).toString();
               todoFlow.createTodo("josepH");
              }
          } catch (Throwable t) {
             System.out.println("Error - " +t.getMessage());
          }

jBPM bean

@Stateful
          @Name("todoFlow")
          public class TodoFlowImpl implements TodoFlow {

@PersistenceContext
               EntityManager em;

@CreateProcess(definition="GenericTodoFlow")
               public void createTodo(String name) {
                    Todo todo = new Todo();
                    todo.setName(name);
                    todo.setCreateDate(new Date());
                    em.persist(todo);
               }

public void updateDate() {
                    // update the date
                    System.out.println("modify date");
               }

@Remove
               @Destroy
               public void destroy() {

}
          }

the flow

<process-definition name="GenericTodoFlow">
             <start-state name="start">
                    <transition to="working"/>
               </start-state>

<node name="working">
                <transition name="working example" to="End Flow">
                     <action expression="#{todoFlow.updateDate}" ></action>
                </transition>
             </node>

<end-state name="End Flow"></end-state>
          </process-definition>  

components.xml (partial)

<persistence:managed-persistence-context name="entityManager"
                                               auto-create="true"
                                persistence-unit-jndi-name="java:/EMFactory"/>

<transaction:ejb-transaction/>

<!-- For use with jBPM pageflow or process management -->
             <bpm:jbpm>
                <bpm:process-definitions>
                     <value>flow-jpdl.xml</value>
                </bpm:process-definitions>
             </bpm:jbpm>

<jms:managed-queue-sender name="todoQueueSender" auto-create="true" queue-jndi-name="queue/TodoFlowQueue"/>
               <jms:queue-connection queue-connection-factory-jndi-name="ConnectionFactory"/>     

So we run that, and we added the ejb-transaction attribute because if you don't it won't work and it will tell you hey why dont you add this in.

however when we do all this we get

WARN  [com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.logging.arjLoggerI18N] 

[com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.coordinator.TwoPhaseCoordinator_4] 

TwoPhaseCoordinator.afterCompletion - returned failure for             com.arjuna.ats.internal.jta.resources.arjunacore.SynchronizationImple@a3e71c

in the console, we are on Jboss 4.2.1

And basically the big issue is the db connections are not getting let go. We do not have this problem when using seam 1.2, just the 2.0.1.

Any ideas? at all? Thanks

• 2. Re: Anyone notice any JBPM problems with not releasing connection pools?
            jnusaira

FWIW - if anyone else has this problem.

The way i fixed it .... and by fix i am not sure why i had to do this in the first place but i understand why it would work.

I had to make the MDB bean managed transaction. that way their was no transaction syncing issues.

Eh, if this is a bug and any of you seam guys want a zip of my sample code just shoot me an email at jnusairat@integrallis.com

• 3. Re: Anyone notice any JBPM problems with not releasing connection pools?
              dahm

We had similar problems in the context of complex interaction with JMS messages, JBPM and data base transactions. We noticed that in some
              cases the message receiving transaction reported the describeed warning and another transaction read stale old data from the database.
              However, this did not happen always.

It seems to be related to http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/EJBTHREE-898

However, your workaround resolved the warning. We rewrote the message driven bean to use bean managed transactions and the warning message disappeared.

• 4. Re: Anyone notice any JBPM problems with not releasing connection pools?
                tnfink

The change to using a BMT-MDB instead of CMT-MDB fixed our problems  in the application. Unfortunately the embedded tests do not function anymore. There seems to be a problem to inject the SessionContext into the MDB.

These are some fragments of our MDB-Code:

@MessageDriven(activationConfig = { @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "maxSession", propertyValue = "5"),
                    @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "destinationType", propertyValue = "javax.jms.Queue"),
                    @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "acknowledgeMode", propertyValue = "AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE"),
                    @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "DLQMaxResent", propertyValue = "10"),
                    @ActivationConfigProperty(propertyName = "destination", propertyValue = PaymentRequestService.MPS_RESPONSE_QUEUE) })
                @Name("responseReceiver")
                @TransactionManagement(TransactionManagementType.BEAN)
                public class AcquirerResponseReceiverMDB implements MessageListener {

@Resource
                  private SessionContext sessionContext;

public final void onMessage(final Message message) {
                    final UserTransaction transaction = sessionContext.getUserTransaction();

transaction.begin();

try {
                      transaction.commit();
                    } catch (final Exception exc) {
                      try {
                        transaction.rollback();
                      } catch (final Exception e) {
                        log.warn("Cannot rollback", e);
                      }
                    }
                  }
                }

This is the exception we get:

ERROR [org.jboss.injection.lang.reflect.FieldBeanProperty] failed to set value org.jboss.ejb3.mdb.MessageDrivenContextImpl@65f97d on field private javax.ejb.SessionContext com.cellactive.mp.server.payment.AcquirerResponseReceiverMDB.sessionContext
                java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
                        at sun.reflect.UnsafeObjectFieldAccessorImpl.set(UnsafeObjectFieldAccessorImpl.java:63)
                        at java.lang.reflect.Field.set(Field.java:656)
                        at org.jboss.injection.lang.reflect.FieldBeanProperty.set(FieldBeanProperty.java:74)
                        at org.jboss.injection.JndiPropertyInjector.inject(JndiPropertyInjector.java:91)
                        at org.jboss.injection.JndiPropertyInjector.inject(JndiPropertyInjector.java:84)
                        at org.jboss.injection.JndiPropertyInjector.inject(JndiPropertyInjector.java:56)
                        at org.jboss.ejb3.pool.AbstractPool.create(AbstractPool.java:100)
                        at org.jboss.ejb3.pool.AbstractPool.create(AbstractPool.java:73)
                        at org.jboss.ejb3.pool.StrictMaxPool.get(StrictMaxPool.java:144)
                        at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessInstanceInterceptor.invoke(StatelessInstanceInterceptor.java:55)
                        at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:101)
                        at org.jboss.ejb3.tx.NullInterceptor.invoke(NullInterceptor.java:42)
                        at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:101)
                        at org.jboss.ejb3.security.Ejb3AuthenticationInterceptorv2.invoke(Ejb3AuthenticationInterceptorv2.java:76)
                        at org.jboss.ejb3.mdb.MessagingContainer.localInvoke(MessagingContainer.java:246)
                        at org.jboss.ejb3.mdb.inflow.MessageInflowLocalProxy.delivery(MessageInflowLocalProxy.java:267)
                        at org.jboss.ejb3.mdb.inflow.MessageInflowLocalProxy.invoke(MessageInflowLocalProxy.java:137)
                        at $Proxy192.onMessage(Unknown Source)
                        at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jms.inflow.JmsServerSession.onMessage(JmsServerSession.java:178)
                        at org.jboss.jms.client.container.ClientConsumer.callOnMessage(ClientConsumer.java:157)
                        at org.jboss.jms.client.container.SessionAspect.handleRun(SessionAspect.java:802)
                        at org.jboss.aop.advice.org.jboss.jms.client.container.SessionAspect_z_handleRun_10719543.invoke(SessionAspect_z_handleRun_10719543.java)
                        at org.jboss.jms.client.delegate.ClientSessionDelegate$run_N8003352271541955702.invokeNext(ClientSessionDelegate$run_N8003352271541955702.java)
                        at org.jboss.jms.client.container.ClosedInterceptor.invoke(ClosedInterceptor.java:170)
                        at org.jboss.aop.advice.PerInstanceInterceptor.invoke(PerInstanceInterceptor.java:106)
                        at org.jboss.jms.client.delegate.ClientSessionDelegate$run_N8003352271541955702.invokeNext(ClientSessionDelegate$run_N8003352271541955702.java)
                        at org.jboss.jms.client.delegate.ClientSessionDelegate.run(ClientSessionDelegate.java)
                        at org.jboss.jms.client.JBossSession.run(JBossSession.java:199)
                        at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jms.inflow.JmsServerSession.run(JmsServerSession.java:234)
                        at org.jboss.resource.work.WorkWrapper.execute(WorkWrapper.java:204)
                        at org.jboss.util.threadpool.BasicTaskWrapper.run(BasicTaskWrapper.java:260)
                        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:650)
                        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)
                        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

Anyone any ideas?

• 5. Re: Anyone notice any JBPM problems with not releasing connection pools?
                  beligum.b.beligum.org
                  For what's it worth:

try this:

@TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRES_NEW)
                  public void onMessage(Message msg)
                  {
                  }

Instead of starting the session manually.