2 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2008 4:22 AM by Brenton Partridge

Seam vs. Ruby on Rails for chat application?

Brenton Partridge Newbie

Hi all, this is my first foray into the Seam community.  I would like to preface my post by saying that I don't expect any code or pseudocode, just quick thoughts and names of technologies I could use.  Anyways, I am trying to decide between Seam/J2EE and Rails for an application where I need high performance, scalable chat communication, where the server will:

(a) receive an XML message from a Flex or Java client and will

(b) need to modify and store every message in a database, and

(c) push the message to other Flex or Java clients in the same chatroom

I'm worried that if I use Rails, I'll see the same outage problem as Twitter when I scale.  But I want to make sure that J2EE and Seam can offer me everything I need.  Also, making as much of the communication RESTful as possible would be a great plus, and I think Rails can do this.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your help!

--Brenton Partridge

• 1. Re: Seam vs. Ruby on Rails for chat application?
          Felipe Albertao Newbie

Hello Brenton,

I am not a Rails expert, but if you are using Flex I would say that choosing Seam is a no-brainer. Exadel Flamingo tightly integrates Flex to Seam, and IMO Seam and Flamingo is a better solution than Adobe's own offering (Blaze DS). It is really easy to use Flex and Seam with Flamingo.

Seam beautifully handles RESTful calls. See the tutorial section 1.9: http://docs.jboss.com/seam/2.0.2.GA/reference/en-US/html/tutorial.html

Regarding messages... You can certainly use a database, but you should take a look at JBoss MQ (now JBoss Messaging) which is shipped with JBoss, and which Seam offers very nice integration.

Felipe

• 2. Re: Seam vs. Ruby on Rails for chat application?
            Brenton Partridge Newbie

Muito obrigado Felipe!  This really solves almost all of my problems, and I'm really excited about Seam now.  Regarding JBoss Messaging, I really need the chat transcripts (combined messages) in my main relational database to enable some advanced features.  I'm not too familiar with JMS or JBoss Messaging; can JBoss Messaging forward the messages to one of the sender's conversation-scoped beans to be persisted?

And thanks again for your extremely prompt reply.  Many of the other forums I've been on are not nearly as responsive or friendly.

--Brenton