4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2008 8:44 AM by bkovac

Support for smartcards

bkovac

Are there any existing components in Seam, which would allow in web application:
      a) authentication with certificate from smartcard?
      b) digital signing in browser with smartcard's certificate?

TIA
      Bogdan

• 1. Re: Support for smartcards
          ctomc

Hi,

this is not seam issue, to make authentication with certificate from smart card to seam app you must configure http server to require ssl client certificates and you must have software on your machine to properly read and send certificate to the web site.

This is actually a client thing, the only thing on server site in this case in seam all you need is to read ssl certificate from request(witch is set by web server not seam)
          I have a system that works exactly that way...

digital signing? How in what do you mean by that? What will you be signing?

cheers,
          tomaz

• 2. Re: Support for smartcards
            bkovac

Digital signing of data in browser (web page).

E.g.: User fills a form, you make an xml out of form's data with javascript and than user signs the xml in browser and at the end javascript submits the signed xml to server.

There is an ActiveX component for IE for signing, it is also possible to sign in Firefox, but I am wondering, if there is any component already written, that could be used, so I would not have to write all the custom javascript for signing in different browsers.

• 3. Re: Support for smartcards
              ctomc

Then you want xml signature if I understand right.
              We have exactly the same problem. And we solved it with 3rd party plug in http://www.setcce.si/eng/index42a.php  proXSign that works for ie and ff. (i am not in any way affiliated with them...)

but even if you go with this component or with your custom implementation in any case you will have to write at least some custom javascript for signing in different browsers.

and digital signing differs what and how will you be signing, we are doing everything based on XMLSignature standard and for that I haven't found any other cross browser component(activex or plugin) that would support this standard properly...
              If you know any let me know...

lp
              tomaz

• 4. Re: Support for smartcards
                bkovac

Thank you for your help Tomaz.

P.S.: Unfortunately I do not know any such component.