IllegalArgument Exception while using SelectItems in selectOneMenu

Hi,

I am having some problems with using a
      Code:

<f:selectItems>  

element inside
      Code:

<h:selectOneMenu>

To start off I created a Jbpm4Jsf tag/class that loads up a list of users, which I have tried to put into a Map and now a List. I return this Map/List as the target inside the page and then place the target as the SelectItems value.

Please see code below

Code:

<ga:responseActions>
         <id:listProjectLeaders target="#{plList}"/>
      </ga:responseActions>

<jbpm:datacell>
              <f:facet name="header">
                      <h:outputText value="Supervisor"/>
              </f:facet>
              <h:selectOneMenu value="#{var['potentialsupervisor']}">
                      <f:selectItems value="#{academics}"/>
              </h:selectOneMenu>
      <!--         <h:inputText value="#{var['potentialsupervisor']}"/>-->
            </jbpm:datacell>

However, when I submit my form, it throws a bunch of exceptions
      Code:

javax.servlet.ServletException
              javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:256)
              org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)

root cause

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
              javax.faces.component.SelectItemsIterator.next(SelectItemsIterator.java:166)
              javax.faces.component.SelectItemsIterator.next(SelectItemsIterator.java:49)
              javax.faces.component.UISelectOne.matchValue(UISelectOne.java:165)
              javax.faces.component.UISelectOne.validateValue(UISelectOne.java:137)
              javax.faces.component.UIInput.validate(UIInput.java:868)
              javax.faces.component.UIInput.executeValidate(UIInput.java:1071)
              javax.faces.component.UIInput.processValidators(UIInput.java:663)
              javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processValidators(UIComponentBase.java:1021)
              javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.processValidators(UIComponentBase.java:1021)
              javax.faces.component.UIForm.processValidators(UIForm.java:229)
              javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.processValidators(UIViewRoot.java:662)
              com.sun.faces.lifecycle.ProcessValidationsPhase.execute(ProcessValidationsPhase.java:100)
              com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.java:248)
              com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.execute(LifecycleImpl.java:117)
              javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:244)
              org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)

The tag/class I use to list all the academics is the following
      Code:

public final class ListAcademicsActionListener implements JbpmActionListener {
          private final ValueExpression targetExpression;

public ListAcademicsActionListener(final ValueExpression targetExpression) {
              this.targetExpression = targetExpression;
          }

public String getName() {
              return "listAcademics";
          }

@SuppressWarnings ({"unchecked"})
          public void handleAction(JbpmJsfContext context, ActionEvent event) {
              try {
                  final FacesContext facesContext = FacesContext.getCurrentInstance();
                  final ELContext elContext = facesContext.getELContext();
                  final Collection<SelectItem> academicsList = new Vector<SelectItem>();
      ... //queries DB some academics names and their userID

while(academics.next()){
                     SelectItem academic = new SelectItem(lecturerLogin, lecturer);
                     academicsList.add(academic);
                  }
                  targetExpression.setValue(elContext, Collections.unmodifiableCollection(academicsList));

context.selectOutcome("success");
               }

So far all the lecturer's names and logins come up fine, but the problem is when I submit the form. I've searched around and there seems to be similar problems, but never quite the same. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
      --Mansingh Shitole