1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2008 11:14 AM by tony.herstell1

Validation in code (User Input Vs Entity Annotation).

tony.herstell1

I am letting the user type in an email on the the screen to add to the Mailing List.

/**
               * The email address
               */
              @In @Out
              String email;

I am processing the simple string that comes back... and if its ok then adding to the list.

@TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRED)
              public String addToList() {
                  log.info("Email to be added " + email);

InvalidValue[] invalidValues = Validators.instance().getValidator(MailingListEntry.class).getPotentialInvalidValues(email, email);
                  if (invalidValues.length != 0) {
                      facesMessages.addToControlFromResourceBundle(invalidValues[0].getPropertyName(), FacesMessage.SEVERITY_ERROR, invalidValues[0].getMessage());
                  } else {                
                          Query query = em.createQuery("from MailingListEntry m where m.email = :email").setParameter("email", email);
                          if (query.getResultList().isEmpty()) {
                                      log.info("Email not found in DBase.");
                                      MailingListEntry mailingListEntry = new MailingListEntry();
                                      mailingListEntry.setEmail(email);
                                      try {
                                              em.persist(mailingListEntry);
                                      } catch (InvalidStateException ise) {
                                              facesMessages.addToControlFromResourceBundle("mailingListEmailAddress", FacesMessage.SEVERITY_ERROR, "mailing_list_email_invalid");
                                      }
                                      facesMessages.addToControlFromResourceBundle("mailingListEmailAddress", FacesMessage.SEVERITY_INFO, "mailing_list_email_added");
                              } else {
                                      log.info("Email already exists.");
                                      facesMessages.addToControlFromResourceBundle("mailingListEmailAddress", FacesMessage.SEVERITY_ERROR, "mailing_list_already_created");
                              }
                  }
                  return null;
          }

As you can see I have tried to use the Validator routine, to help validate it to no avail... (validation using Hib's Email one)

@NotNull(message="required")
          @Email
          public String getEmail() {
              return email;
          }

public void setEmail(String email) {
              this.email = email;
          }

SO as you ALSO see I though well just catch the exception when it fails to be added to DBase..

but I get this:

01:17:36,728 ERROR [AssertionFailure] an assertion failure occured (this may indicate a bug in Hibernate, but is more likely due to unsafe use of the session)
      org.hibernate.AssertionFailure: null id in nz.co.selwynequestriancentre.model.entity.MailingListEntry entry (don't flush the Session after an exception occurs)
              at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.checkId(DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.java:55)

Humm... any ideas?